Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 10-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
PK

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy 7: Attack of the Healbots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Well, it's an omission I can live with. In most settings, followers of the god of magic are mages themselves, and the church does provide access to the best libraries. What I was surprised to find missing was a priest of the elder things, specially after they're specifically mentioned.
FWIW, I think that the Elder Things, their spawn, religions, etc., really need their own small supplement. I could see a 16-page DF: Elder Things existing one day. (Anyone up for writing it?)

Quote:
Oh, and some small customization notes in order to differenciate "good" spell lists from "evil" spell lists.
While there is a discussion of morality for each god-realm, it doesn't really affect their sphere of magical influence much. The approach in Clerics is that "Good" is one set of spells, "Evil" is another, "Love" is another, "The Hunt" is another, and so on. The two previously existing Cleric templates (and spell lists) covered generic gods of Good and Evil, and now we have a whole bunch of niche gods as well.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post

While there is a discussion of morality for each god-realm, it doesn't really affect their sphere of magical influence much. The approach in Clerics is that "Good" is one set of spells, "Evil" is another, "Love" is another, "The Hunt" is another, and so on. The two previously existing Cleric templates (and spell lists) covered generic gods of Good and Evil, and now we have a whole bunch of niche gods as well.
Yep. The more specific spheres replace "Good" and "Evil." Clerics of the God of Fire have the abilities of clerics of the God of Fire. The deity's specific morality doesn't alter anything. It's up to the GM whether the God of Fire is nice, not-so-nice, indifferent, etc.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
FWIW, I think that the Elder Things, their spawn, religions, etc., really need their own small supplement. I could see a 16-page DF: Elder Things existing one day. (Anyone up for writing it?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Yep. The more specific spheres replace "Good" and "Evil." Clerics of the God of Fire have the abilities of clerics of the God of Fire. The deity's specific morality doesn't alter anything. It's up to the GM whether the God of Fire is nice, not-so-nice, indifferent, etc.
I know, I know, it-s just that I can totally see an evil god of evil having burning death... there are a couple of "controversial" spells like this.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:12 PM   #14
b-dog

Quote:
I really, really hope someone writes this book because it would likely be my favorite book in the DF series.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:34 AM   #15
tg_ambro

Quote:
FWIW, I think that the Elder Things, their spawn, religions, etc., really need their own small supplement. I could see a 16-page DF: Elder Things existing one day. (Anyone up for writing it?).
That would mean I'd have to really bone up on my Lovecraft wouldn't it?
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #16
Phil Masters

Quote:
What I was surprised to find missing was a priest of the elder things, specially after they're specifically mentioned.
This is a book about PC options.

Quote:
Oh, and some small customization notes in order to differenciate "good" spell lists from "evil" spell lists.
Really, spell choices are much more dictated by your god's domain of interest than by their moral stance. Morality is not what you can do, it's who you choose to do it to.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:53 AM   #17
Phil Masters

Quote:
I know, I know, it-s just that I can totally see an evil god of evil having burning death... there are a couple of "controversial" spells like this.
You haven't really got the hang of the munchkin thing, have you?

Good cleric. Burning Death spell. Smell of incinerated orcs in the morning.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:14 AM   #18
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
This is a book about PC options.
And dark ones and elder spawn are not PC races? Why couldn't they worship their ancestors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
You haven't really got the hang of the munchkin thing, have you?

Good cleric. Burning Death spell. Smell of incinerated orcs in the morning.
If it was on the list, I would not object (and it's going to get houseruled in once I decide what PI level to assign it (surely 5+) and what spell to replace with it

Still, this book i going to be immediately useful. I've got a DF game about to start, and the main problem is that the group is "morally reprobable" (read: they're a band of pirates who have found themselves short of a ship, and plan to loot an steal their way into a new one. The group includes 1 catgirl swashbuckler, one dragonblooded knight, one wood elf scout, one gnome artificer, one dark one evil cleric, and one player who does not have a character yet), but they wished to have a healer. I can totally see a druid of the hunt fitting in perfectly, and thus they have a healer who isn't necessarily "good".
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #19
Phil Masters

Quote:
And dark ones and elder spawn are not PC races? Why couldn't they worship their ancestors?
I'm sure that some of them do. So do some humans. (Hmm. Making definitive assumptions about the nature of reality in a Dungeon Fantasy universe. I may need to take a break.) It's just that those worshippers don't make very good Dungeon Fantasy PCs. They're too busy, y'know, gibbering and capering and slashing themselves with slime-drenched daggers and plotting to send the universe spinning down into a pit of madness.

Plays havoc with the hiring of the hirelings and the choosing of the polearms and the testing of the walls for secret doors and the selling of the loot and the general dungeoneering of the dungeons. It's very much an NPC lifestyle. And any rational behaviour should be punished with a rolled-up newspaper and a deprivation of experience points. Which distracts GMs tragically.

Quote:
If it was on the list, I would not object (and it's going to get houseruled in once I decide what PI level to assign it (surely 5+) and what spell to replace with it
Oh yeah, I didn't give that one to any clerics. Somehow, it felt more like a wizard thing. Priests of fire do straight-down-the-line fire things, rather than messing with flesh-and-blood-and-death stuff. But you're welcome to drop it in somewhere.

And don't worry about replacing any other spell. Nobody has a fixed quota.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
trooper6

Quote:
They aren't in the DF books.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clerics, dungeon fantasy