Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 PM   #71
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Bestiary of Cidri

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein View Post
There will be a section on predators, parasites and pathogens, that describes what might prey on the creature, what its natural enemies might be, what diseases it might carry and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
I'm not happy with having diseases in this book unless its just to give the name (like Malaria). I think to do diseases justice, it needs to be in a Book of Diseases article listing the disease, symptoms, TFT affect, duration, termination of disease or patient, cures, etc.

Predators and their prey are good.
Wow gpoehlein, I profusely apologize for going off like that. Now that I'm calmed down, let me relook at the disease issue.

I like that you are wanting the beasties have the potential of giving disease to their victims. I guess I was thinking what JLV stated better. I didn't want to short-change the subject because there is a fight for space in this book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
On the disease thing, I'd personally say that it's almost a non-sequitar, given that TFT doesn't really address diseases in any detail, so unless you ALSO plan to include rules for using diseases effectively in the game (and treating them, and healing them, and containing them -- thus turning "The Fantasy Trip" into "The Pharmacological Trip"), they probably need to be very BRIEF entries so as to not "waste" space better spent on habitat or other items of real importance to TFT. But perhaps others strongly disagree with me on that....
And after the very Brief entries in The Bestiary, have a "The Pharmacological Trip" ARTICLE that covers or expands just that topic.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #72
schoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I will happily do the calculations for any new critters they want to publish.

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/firepower.html
Ooooo! Thanks for this, HJC!
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #73
Shadekeep

One other ready-made source for monsters besides mythology is their modern equivalent, folklore beasts (AKA cryptids). TFT already includes some of those, such as the sasquatch and chupacabra. There are a number of other ones which could make good additions as well - jackalope/wolpertinger, shuck, ahool, sea monsters/serpents like Nessie and Champ, the Mothman, and the Jersey Devil. Here are some links if you're interested:

https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Cryptids

https://mentalfloss.com/article/5894...ight-not-exist
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #74
hcobb

Spoiler: Nessie is at ITL97.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:53 AM   #75
guymc

Steve’s been reviewing the discussion here as well as consulting with select others offline. The deciusion’s been made that this Bestiary book can contain anything except declared player character races. This means no humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, lizard men, orcs, or prootwaddles. (I know you are SO disappointed on the last one mentioned...) But we will include dragons, trolls, octopi, basilisks, and other sentients not established as player character races in ITL.

Any plans for a “Races of Cidri” book are outside the scope of this discussion as we are not contracted for those. Discussion of cards and counters is also outside our purview as they are also not to be part of our contract for the work.

Thanks for your input! We always find it valuable.

Guy McLimore
guymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:47 AM   #76
hcobb

Will you be buffing up any existing critters by adding in abilities they used to have but got nerfed out of the new edition like this?

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#dragons

Or will you leave them as harmless pets that get chained up in the new adventures?
Old 02-28-2019, 08:44 AM   #77
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
Steve’s been reviewing the discussion here as well as consulting with select others offline. The deciusion’s been made that this Bestiary book can contain anything except declared player character races. This means no humans, elves, dwarves, halflings, lizard men, orcs, or prootwaddles. (I know you are SO disappointed on the last one mentioned...) But we will include dragons, trolls, octopi, basilisks, and other sentients not established as player character races in ITL.
Sounds good. With the scope defined you can move ahead to the next stage of determining what shape the content will take. Would be interesting to hear how that comes together, too.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #78
JLV

So no counters or cards in the project? That's too bad.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #79
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
So no counters or cards in the project? That's too bad.
Ah, that's true. I thought the cards were a nice idea as well.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #80
JohnPaulB

For the domestic type generic animals, is it possible to include a generic cost? Perhaps make it the generic cost in the Duchy of Kel.

Maybe there could even be pricing for some more exotic animals?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote