Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #31
Tyneras

Default Re: GURPS Powers: Divine Favor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Ceremonial prayers?
Already covered under Petition Roll Modifiers on page 5.

I was thinking more about using the extra charisma to fuel my rise to power, or raise an army to fight the bad guys, or create public support for something that my god supports.

edit: or maybe just convince the faithful to raise funds to improve the church.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #32
b-dog

One thing I must say about this book and what I like about it is that it really tries to be close to a Judeo-Christian concept of a cleric. The Dungeon Fantasy cleric was modeled on the Judeo-Christian cleric from vampire movies so it is really cool that a character with divine favor would really come close to this instead of just a wizard with healing spells. I think that a DF template would be quite useful for divine favor clerics too. I would also love it if there were templates with info for Christian clercs for use with DF as this is truly where the original DF cleric came from instead of some religion where the cleric worships Glorp the Good. The same would be true of a Knights Templar template for the holy warrior.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #33
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
How about using Power Investment as a Prayer Talent - giving a bonus to the Reaction Roll?
Sure, that's in there. See Power and Privilege (p. 7), which gives the GM a few different ways to make things like Power Investiture or Religious Rank make a difference.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #34
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
One thing I must say about this book and what I like about it is that it really tries to be close to a Judeo-Christian concept of a cleric.
I can't disagree with that, but I'd like to point out that it's not modeled on just the Judeo-Christian concept of a cleric! In particular, the moral code is wide open -- you just have to take at least -10 points in "religious disadvantages," which can model literally any faith. And the miracles are drawn from Islam, Hindu, Native American, and several other beliefs. I actually did a fair bit of research when coming up with the miracles that felt right, and only a portion of that research was Biblical.

tl;dr version: Divine Favor tries to be close to real-world concepts of a holy cleric, but not that of any one particular religion.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #35
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
tl;dr version: Divine Favor tries to be close to real-world concepts of a holy cleric, but not that of any one particular religion.
For this reason, I'd also like to note that it was really tricky to come up with a web blurb for this item that avoided use of "God" or any other "named names" . . . :-)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #36
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Marsh View Post
For this reason, I'd also like to note that it was really tricky to come up with a web blurb for this item that avoided use of "God" or any other "named names" . . . :-)
Was "deity" taken? As far as I know, that's both generic and gender neutral.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:12 PM   #37
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
I can't disagree with that, but I'd like to point out that it's not modeled on just the Judeo-Christian concept of a cleric! In particular, the moral code is wide open -- you just have to take at least -10 points in "religious disadvantages," which can model literally any faith. And the miracles are drawn from Islam, Hindu, Native American, and several other beliefs. I actually did a fair bit of research when coming up with the miracles that felt right, and only a portion of that research was Biblical.

But to me what makes it cool is that it is close a real world cleric. A cleric of Islam, Hindu, and Christian religions would all be fun to play. Using cross to turn a vampire is better than using a sacred tire iron of some made up religion for the game atmosphere to me. Plus the holy items found while dungeon delving are cool if they are from some real world religion. Somehow GURPS Banestorm, Cabal and Innomine were able to take real world religions and add them to the gamecworld and not create a huge uproar while almost all dungeon delving games avoid them like the plague. I know DF is supposed to be devoid of any setting assumptions but most of the stuff is from real world myths and legends with a coat of paint covering it. Instead of having the evil cleric worship the demon lord Chroing the Nasty just go for the real thing and have the evil cleric worship the Devil.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #38
tg_ambro

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
. . . Instead of having the evil cleric worship the demon lord Chroing the Nasty just go for the real thing and have the evil cleric worship the Devil.
Actually, the Devil is frequently refered to throughout the DF books. Kind funny of when you think about it.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #39
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
Actually, the Devil is frequently refered to throughout the DF books. Kind funny of when you think about it.
That is one thing that gives me hope for this series.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #40
lachimba

Any good?

I am thinking of procrastinating and not buying it for a little while, but it looks like an inevitable purchase to me.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clerics, divine favor, powers