Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 10-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #1
The Fox
Not-So-Secret Master /.\

Default Dungeon Fantasy 7: Attack of the Healbots

Ahoy, all. This week's release is up, and it looks like it's GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 7: Clerics. I think. I mean, that's what it says on the cover... yeah, yeah, it's definitely DF 7. Kind of in a hurry today, so I haven't looked too closely at it yet. Let me know if I accidentally uploaded, I don't know, a drawing of a horsie or anything like that.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy 7: Attack of the Healbots

No horsie pictures, but Holly Hunter gets a mention on p18.
Oops, my mistake thats Holy Hunter :)
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
b-dog

This book will be really useful for quickly making priests. I have enjoyed reading it so far but I haven't found a template for gods of magic like Odin and Hecate. I am very curious about how a god of magic template would work, would they be granted spells to increase mana level or would they just be granted levels of magery? In any case the book is very good.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
This book will be really useful for quickly making priests. I have enjoyed reading it so far but I haven't found a template for gods of magic like Odin and Hecate. I am very curious about how a god of magic template would work, would they be granted spells to increase mana level or would they just be granted levels of magery? In any case the book is very good.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm afraid that I couldn't see any way to make a god of magic work. Dungeon Fantasy is, to a significant extent, all about niche protection, and a cleric of a god of magic is just too likely to splatter that. The best thing I can suggest is to make a priest of something like Night (Hecate) or War (Odin) - or use the guidelines for a god of wisdom - and then stretch it as far as the GM will let you. And then apply the lens for a cleric-wizard from DF3 as soon as you've saved up the points.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #5
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Looks very nice! now, my copy seems to be lacking bookmarks...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
The Fox
Not-So-Secret Master /.\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Looks very nice! now, my copy seems to be lacking bookmarks...
That's... weird. The copy on the server (which I have open as I write this) is fine. Try downloading it again?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I'm afraid that I couldn't see any way to make a god of magic work. Dungeon Fantasy is, to a significant extent, all about niche protection, and a cleric of a god of magic is just too likely to splatter that. The best thing I can suggest is to make a priest of something like Night (Hecate) or War (Odin) - or use the guidelines for a god of wisdom - and then stretch it as far as the GM will let you. And then apply the lens for a cleric-wizard from DF3 as soon as you've saved up the points.
Well, it's an omission I can live with. In most settings, followers of the god of magic are mages themselves, and the church does provide access to the best libraries. What I was surprised to find missing was a priest of the elder things, specially after they're specifically mentioned. Oh, and some small customization notes in order to differenciate "good" spell lists from "evil" spell lists.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
PK

Quote:
Well, it's an omission I can live with. In most settings, followers of the god of magic are mages themselves, and the church does provide access to the best libraries. What I was surprised to find missing was a priest of the elder things, specially after they're specifically mentioned.
FWIW, I think that the Elder Things, their spawn, religions, etc., really need their own small supplement. I could see a 16-page DF: Elder Things existing one day. (Anyone up for writing it?)

Quote:
Oh, and some small customization notes in order to differenciate "good" spell lists from "evil" spell lists.
While there is a discussion of morality for each god-realm, it doesn't really affect their sphere of magical influence much. The approach in Clerics is that "Good" is one set of spells, "Evil" is another, "Love" is another, "The Hunt" is another, and so on. The two previously existing Cleric templates (and spell lists) covered generic gods of Good and Evil, and now we have a whole bunch of niche gods as well.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #9
Phil Masters

Quote:
What I was surprised to find missing was a priest of the elder things, specially after they're specifically mentioned.
This is a book about PC options.

Quote:
Oh, and some small customization notes in order to differenciate "good" spell lists from "evil" spell lists.
Really, spell choices are much more dictated by your god's domain of interest than by their moral stance. Morality is not what you can do, it's who you choose to do it to.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
So for Odin I should just use the War god cleric template and for Hecate the Night god cleric. But I was thinking that since they are both gods of magic then they may grant some extra spells like Identify Spell, Mage Sight, Mage Sense, Seek Magic, Analyze Magic and Restore Mana. All of the combat spells like Fireball and Lightning Bolt would be left to Wizards but I feel that a god of magic should grant powers to detect, identify and increase magic. They would need to have Magery to actuallly wield magic however. Does this seem about right? Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clerics, dungeon fantasy