Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #51
giant.robot

Default Re: GURPS PDFs: What e-Book/e-reader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
giant, I'm not attempting to "spread misinformation". If you're taking me for some sort of iPad basher, you're overly defensive and judging me badly.
What I said was based on what I understood from the information I had and what I got from the posts here. I've never actually used iTunes. If I said something that was wrong, it's out of mistake, not mischief.
You're response was very informative, and I thank you for that. But I could do without the assumptions.
I don't think I was being overly defensive, you started talking about "the cloud" and never mentioned you hadn't used iTunes before. Instead you said this:

Quote:
Sure... but it means that unless I have an internet connection available, I can't upload files into the iPad, like when we're at my friends farm, or I have my stuff in a notebook or pendrive.
Quote:
I'm considering the Galaxy Tab 10.1, because it's as light and thin as the iPad and doesn't annoy me with this kind of "do it our way" silliness.
This is a big set of assuming for someone that could do without assumptions. ;)
giant.robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 AM   #52
Ffej

Well...

On a positive note, I just got Goodreader and now I'm happily bookmarking key pages in my manuals as well as adding the occasional silly caption to some of the images. Thank you.
Ffej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:01 AM   #53
Gudiomen

giant, believe what you like. I was wrong and that's it, the assumptions I didn't like were that I was attempting some sort of anti-iPad campaign by spreading misinformation. I'm discontinuing this point of argument, out of respect for others here, I don't want this to turn into a personal debate.

Anyway... back on track: are there any really good apps for either apple or android that are specifically related to RPG? Like die-rollers? Or other stuff that's not specific but comes in REALLY handy?

A bunch of people here seem to be using tablets for their games, what apps do you find more useful when playing GURPS?
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 05:13 AM   #54
weby

I have my eeepc netbook with me at the games and use it heavily both to have my adventure plans and the pdfs.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #55
pyratejohn

Ok, I think you guys have convinced me to go buy a EEE PC netbook. Where's my Best Buy card...?
Old 05-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #56
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

My main gripe about iTunes, and iGadgets in general, is that if you go to someone's place, you can't simply plug them in, and transfer in/transfer out. iGadgets are tethered to the computer that has iTunes installed. If you don't use an OS that has an official iTunes version, you're SOL, unless someone reverse engineered how to interact with that particular iDevice.

Example: You're at work, at a friend's house, at a public computer, etc etc, and a new GURPS PDF comes out. Now, you don't have wifi access, and you don't have 3g access. You just have a computer that you can use to access the internet. Unfortunately for you, you won't be able to load the PDF until you get home.

Android, however, mounts it's data storage (not the system storage or the app storage) as a USB drive, and you can simply copy there whatever you want. Maybe you just need somewhere to store the files, and you won't open them on the Android device. Maybe you simply need to copy that awesome Jamendo track your friend is raving about, and that is free (as in freedom).
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #57
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen View Post
giant, believe what you like. I was wrong and that's it, the assumptions I didn't like were that I was attempting some sort of anti-iPad campaign by spreading misinformation. I'm discontinuing this point of argument, out of respect for others here, I don't want this to turn into a personal debate.

Anyway... back on track: are there any really good apps for either apple or android that are specifically related to RPG? Like die-rollers? Or other stuff that's not specific but comes in REALLY handy?

A bunch of people here seem to be using tablets for their games, what apps do you find more useful when playing GURPS?
I can not speak for iOS gadgets, since I don't own any. However, for Android, there are a couple die rollers, and a couple utilities to track your character's stats/hp/whatever. I favor RPGSidekick.
My stuff on e23
Old 05-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #58
giant.robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
Example: You're at work, at a friend's house, at a public computer, etc etc, and a new GURPS PDF comes out. Now, you don't have wifi access, and you don't have 3g access. You just have a computer that you can use to access the internet. Unfortunately for you, you won't be able to load the PDF until you get home.
This is why I specifically mentioned GoodReader's built in web server as I raninto this exact situation last night with the latest Pyramid. GoodReader has a mini web server build in that you can access via another computer's browser. You don't need an existing network as you can just hot one on the PC if oe isn't available. Your concern isn't invalid but I think it's one where you have to throw up a lot of theoretical hurdles making it unlikely but not impossible.

As for dice rollers I've got RPG Calc that I really like but I don't use it often. Despite using my iPad frequently at the gaming table I still like to roll real dice and have a paper character sheet. This is just personal preference on my part and at my last test RPG Calc seems to produce appropriate probability curves for the rolls I tested. I'm a stickler for the right probabilities so when I got it I did a few dozen rolls of each die type to see if I got good curves.
giant.robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #59
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant.robot View Post
This is why I specifically mentioned GoodReader's built in web server as I raninto this exact situation last night with the latest Pyramid. GoodReader has a mini web server build in that you can access via another computer's browser. You don't need an existing network as you can just hot one on the PC if oe isn't available. Your concern isn't invalid but I think it's one where you have to throw up a lot of theoretical hurdles making it unlikely but not impossible.

As for dice rollers I've got RPG Calc that I really like but I don't use it often. Despite using my iPad frequently at the gaming table I still like to roll real dice and have a paper character sheet. This is just personal preference on my part and at my last test RPG Calc seems to produce appropriate probability curves for the rolls I tested. I'm a stickler for the right probabilities so when I got it I did a few dozen rolls of each die type to see if I got good curves.
That feature of goodreader, I didn't know. Still, it needs a computer with WiFi right? or can you plug the iPad in, via a usb cable, and transfer the PDF?
My stuff on e23
Old 05-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #60
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant.robot View Post
As for dice rollers I've got RPG Calc that I really like but I don't use it often. Despite using my iPad frequently at the gaming table I still like to roll real dice and have a paper character sheet.
I'm with you on that, specially the character sheets. But I have to admit this app got me thinking digital die-rollers can preserve the feel if they put some effort into it...
And with a PDF viewer I can scribble on, I can manually (using a finger or a pen) fill in character sheets and save them...

Damn, looks like I won't resist getting one of these things come my birthday.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, pdf