Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Delcar

Default GURPS PDFs: What e-Book/e-reader?

Hey all,

I've picked up several of the e23 books, and a couple of the main GURPS hardbacks as pdfs, I've been printing them but have my trusty Dell Axim X5 handy, but I've been wanting to make the leap to an e-reader.

Does anyone use one during play? Does it play nice with the graphic-heavy format?
Delcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
gmillerd

Default Re: GURPS PDFs: What e-Book/e-reader?

i still use my laptop, since I have all my PDFs bookmarked and annotated heavily. Crosslinking is a huge thing that I cannot get from a non-adobe reader.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Hannes665

I use a netbook while I am gaming and GM-ing for my PDF. Works fine.

Darth Vader "Luke! I am your fathers second cousins sisters best friends brother!"

Luke Skywalker "Nooo... eehh What?!"
Hannes665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
archypetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delcar View Post
Hey all,

I've picked up several of the e23 books, and a couple of the main GURPS hardbacks as pdfs, I've been printing them but have my trusty Dell Axim X5 handy, but I've been wanting to make the leap to an e-reader.

Does anyone use one during play? Does it play nice with the graphic-heavy format?
I have them all on my netbook but also have a sony e-reader pocket edition. Got the main book on that and it's ok for a bit of reading, but i'd alway sstill prefer to use the laptop/netbook for gaming sessions. E-readers so far, in my experience, have been suited best for prose-like reading, rather than quick referencing/lookups
archypetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Netbook and my Laptop.

I've looked into ereaders and was not impressed. I'm considering an iPad so I can have them in a slightly more book-like presentation, but I want to wait until iTunes gets fixed and I can hear a bit more about if their eBook reader does, actually, read PDFs (I keep hearing conflicting stories).
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
blacksmith

I can say the nook would be really bad at this, it would display a full screen image but too small to read well. Go with a netbook or laptop.

I have seen some tablet netbooks that are really tempting. My dad got my mom one so I will see what I think.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
rlbeaver

I have an iPad that the PDFs look great on (using Good Reader). I'll see how well it works at the table tonight.

My expectations are pretty low as far as PDFs and electronics at the gaming table are concerned. I've not liked the laptop, tablet PC, Sony PRS ereader, or netbook so far, but I'm a bit of a dinosaur and like dead tree books. However, this is the first device that I've looked at and said, okay, I might be able to abide ebooks...we'll see.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Delcar

Thanks all, this is great feedback.

I'll confess, I'm rapidly becoming spoiled by the search functions when I'm doing prep at my PC, its so useful that I'm slowly 'doubling up' my hardcopy books with PDFs.

(Well, I got the Martial Arts pdf instead of the book, but I'll likely get the hardback eventually)

It sounds like I'd be better served by spending just a little more money even on one of those mini-laptops.
Delcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #9
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Netbook and my Laptop.

I've looked into ereaders and was not impressed. I'm considering an iPad so I can have them in a slightly more book-like presentation, but I want to wait until iTunes gets fixed and I can hear a bit more about if their eBook reader does, actually, read PDFs (I keep hearing conflicting stories).
The Kindle's the example of pdf confusion. They say they can and technically it does. IF you put your files on a web site. At least the Kindle 1 would open pdfs on site with their browser but would not even acknowledge a pdf work was on the kindle's memory.

Understand, my knidle died from being inside my car on a hot day and i'm no friend to that miserable thing. YMMV.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
sjard
Stick in the Mud

My Sony Reader Pocket (PRC-300) displays GURPS pdfs just fine, if very very small. It is larger if I set it to landscape, but then it can only display half a page at a time. I'm looking forward to some of the full page size readers coming down in price.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ereader, pdf