Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #11
oma

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Companion 3

Looks great.

I loved all the adventures, especially the zombies from the shrine and the demon hand adventure.

I wish we had more adventures. I ordered the POD so we'll see.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:47 AM   #12
mehrkat

someone who bought it and has the pyramid articles. How much additional information is included. How much new information and how substantially is the old info changed.

Is this from Pyramid 3?
Old 03-25-2022, 11:33 AM   #13
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
someone who bought it and has the pyramid articles. How much additional information is included. How much new information and how substantially is the old info changed.

Is this from Pyramid 3?
The table of content in the preview show, for each entry, the original Pyramid 3 source.

The layout is clearly the new, pleasant and colored DFRPG one, the actual text doesn't seem to be much different for the previews.

I too would like to know if there are significant content changes, although the new presentation may be worth it on its own ?
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:20 PM   #14
Steven Marsh

For the most part, the article text is unchanged, although it's been tweaked to make sense. (For example, page cross references have been changed to be correct in the new version.) Some minor tweaks and errata was sorted out. Probably the most-significant change – outside of the intro-type material, which is all new – was a few monster tweaks were made in one of the adventures, since (IIRC) the original monsters were part of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy but not the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game.

Otherwise, I believe the second-biggest tweaks were to my columns, which were tweaked a bit to ensure they worked as standalone entries.

Oh, and the index is all new, and as inimitable an effort as any Nikki Vrtis index.

But – in all honesty – the primary goal (from my perspective) is in unifying this content and making it accessible as part of the larger Dungeon Fantasy RPG line. So, the art, the re-layout, etc. was all devised with that in mind. (And, speaking mildly selfishly, I wanted it to look awesome on my shelf and match the form and profile of the other books in the line.)

However, if you own all the original Pyramid issues individually, there isn't any pressing need, if your primary interest is in just the textual material.

Hopefully that makes sense!
Steven Marsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 07:32 PM   #15
voodoo54

Will this be available as a POD on Amazon at some point?
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 03:05 PM   #16
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
While I am very excited about the book and the preview looks really good to me, I am quite taken aback by the image of a money-counting, pointy-eared, hook-nosed goblin on the back-cover.

At first glance, this feels almost as much like an anti-semitic caricature as anything a certain fantasy author condones and there has been a lot of talk about this sort of thing lately. Here's a short article (from the Jewish Chroncile) on why this is problematic, even if it's completely coincidental.

Dungeon Fantasy goblins aren't even like that; they aren't naturally greedy or good with money (judging from DFRPG Monsters and how they're presented in GURPS DF). On the one hand, that makes it much better than what some other game companies are doing at the moment, but, on the other hand, the fact that this is on the second page of the preview will make some potentially interested buyers shy away from what is probably an excellent product. I sure am. For the first time in almost a decade I am not snapping up a GURPS or DFRPG product the moment it's available.

To make it perfectly clear, I am not accusing Steve Jackson Games of any intentional racism, but to me this feels like at least a quality control issue. I'd very much like the DFRPG to live up to the style it had in the boxed set that was refreshingly inclusive and avoided stereotyping. Goblins that are way too close to real-world anti-semitic caricatures are not the way to do that.
Valid, but hard to avoid unless you eschew the whole genre sadly.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:50 PM   #17
jackcelso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
While I am very excited about the book and the preview looks really good to me, I am quite taken aback by the image of a money-counting, pointy-eared, hook-nosed goblin on the back-cover.

At first glance, this feels almost as much like an anti-semitic caricature as anything a certain fantasy author condones and there has been a lot of talk about this sort of thing lately. Here's a short article (from the Jewish Chroncile) on why this is problematic, even if it's completely coincidental.

Dungeon Fantasy goblins aren't even like that; they aren't naturally greedy or good with money (judging from DFRPG Monsters and how they're presented in GURPS DF). On the one hand, that makes it much better than what some other game companies are doing at the moment, but, on the other hand, the fact that this is on the second page of the preview will make some potentially interested buyers shy away from what is probably an excellent product. I sure am. For the first time in almost a decade I am not snapping up a GURPS or DFRPG product the moment it's available.

To make it perfectly clear, I am not accusing Steve Jackson Games of any intentional racism, but to me this feels like at least a quality control issue. I'd very much like the DFRPG to live up to the style it had in the boxed set that was refreshingly inclusive and avoided stereotyping. Goblins that are way too close to real-world anti-semitic caricatures are not the way to do that.
In my opinion, nothing is wrong with the figure. nothing is wrong or racist in Harry Potter movies. i will continue to buy books, this is rpg nothing to do with real life.
"Evil is in the eye of the beholder!...... Luiz J. Vasconcelos"
jackcelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:38 AM   #18
thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo54 View Post
Will this be available as a POD on Amazon at some point?
Ditto-I'll be buying a copy the instant it hits Amazon...
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:05 AM   #19
Baldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Ditto-I'll be buying a copy the instant it hits Amazon...
https://www.amazon.it/dp/1556349688/...d=AHAZUA7966Y7

Found it on Amazon.it right now, but €47.15 means I'm getting this "in the near future", not "immediately"...

However thanks SJG!

Last edited by Baldo; 03-30-2022 at 05:06 AM. Reason: italics
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 05:31 AM   #20
Anders

Now to incorporate the new possibilities into Delvers to Grow...