Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #141
JimTullis

Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
So, this year we're setting only two priorities:

1. Complete the commitments we have made through three different Kickstarters. That means wrapping up Dungeon Fantasy (no matter what it takes), finalizing the Ogre Miniatures Set 1 project, and shipping Munchkin Shakespeare to Kickstarter backers on schedule. These projects override everything else.
I was under the impression that the new edition of Car Wars was a commitment made 5 years ago during the 2012 Deluxe Ogre Kickstarter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Deluxe Ogre Kickstarter
$700,000 - GOAL ACHIEVED! - Drive Offensively! We will launch a Kickstarter project for Car Wars! We *think* this will turn out to be a refinement of Car Wars Compendium 2.5, but you'll tell us. Our supporters at the [new] $23 level and higher will be invited to join an exclusive Car Wars forum, where we’ll build the new edition from the ground up - issues like "which classic cover do we use?," "10 phase, 5 phase, or 3 phase movement?," and "do we include boats?" Once the project launches, surveys will be open to the public, but only supporters of the current project will get in on the preliminary planning. And we'll take everything we have learned from our Ogre Kickstarter project to make the Car Wars project even better. If we make this goal, the private Car Wars forum and surveys will launch before the end of 2012. The game will be published in late 2013.
(PS #1 - And we will add staff as necessary to make sure that the Car Wars and Ogre projects don’t compete for attention!)
(PS #2 - To make sure this is clear: Supporters of Ogre are not receiving a copy of the new Car Wars. You’re just making us DO it. Thank you . . . we think!)
Not having played Ogre previously, I missed out getting to back Car Wars through this. A friend of mine let me know this goal came up, but the Ogre Kickstarter closed while I was at work.

But Since then, I have been eagerly awaiting the new edition of Car Wars which is my favorite game of all time. I was hoping it would kickstart for the 35th anniversary last year, since the Deluxe Ogre kickstarted for Ogre's 35th.

Maybe if it kickstarts next year it will ship in time the 40th anniversary in 2021?
Old 07-05-2017, 04:50 AM   #142
DethNightslayer

There was a Car Wars kickstarter that I assume fulfilled that goal. It was the Car Wars Classic Arenas.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #143
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
I was under the impression that the new edition of Car Wars was a commitment made 5 years ago during the 2012 Deluxe Ogre Kickstarter...
Yes, and we continue to work on completing that project. A new edition of Car Wars will not happen in 2017.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #144
schoon

Thank-you for the information, Phil.

I always find it slightly counter-intuitive that growth is one of the easiest ways to kill a company, and I'm happy the hear the SJG is taking a measured approach.

...also good to hear that the project is still getting attention, even if it is on the back burner for a while.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #145
ColBosch

Do what you have to do! I can wait. ;)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #146
NEgativeZer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Yes, and we continue to work on completing that project. A new edition of Car Wars will not happen in 2017.
Not going to lie, I am upset that Dungeon Fantasy was pushed out and seemingly given priority over car wars. I'm sure there was some sound business reason that this happened but that doesn't make it less annoying for those of us waiting on CW.

The munchkin stuff on the other hand I can 100% forgive as Munchkin is SJG's bread and butter and those games keep the lights on. I do get that this is a business.

That all above said I get that Car Wars 6E has hit some design snags and I am still excited to see this game when you are ready to show it to us. Just please don't let Car Wars take a back seat again next year and all is forgiven :)

Last edited by NEgativeZer0; 07-21-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #147
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEgativeZer0 View Post
Not going to lie, I am upset that Dungeon Fantasy was pushed out and seemingly given priority over car wars. I'm sure there was some sound business reason that this happened but that doesn't make it less annoying for those of us waiting on CW.
The team that wrote, edited, and handled layout on Dungeon Fantasy is not involved in Car Wars. There were a few key people who take care of tasks at the end of the process who overlap, but the act of creating the material was by a separate team.

Not working on Dungeon Fantasy would not have made Car Wars happen any faster.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:04 AM   #148
MattV

Wasn't this things Scott's baby?

Why did he go dark????
Old 07-23-2017, 10:06 AM   #149
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post
Wasn't this things Scott's baby?