Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #21
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Is there any advantage to using a saber ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
How realistic are the stats for the Edged Rapier? I've heard that regardless of its sharpness, the blade of a rapier would be too flimsy the slash with, meaning a cut would more closely resemble a Tip Slash than a proper cut.
The book states that these weapons arent necessarily edged rapiers but weapons that fight like a rapier that have edges
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:06 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
How realistic are the stats for the Edged Rapier? I've heard that regardless of its sharpness, the blade of a rapier would be too flimsy the slash with, meaning a cut would more closely resemble a Tip Slash than a proper cut.
I'm fairly sure the "Edged Rapier" is a 16th century cut-and-thrust sword, and is significantly wider than late period rapiers (or even contemporary rapiers).
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:11 PM   #23
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
You seem to be refering to modern (European) sport fencing.

Modern saber fencing is not about using a sword; it's about slapping someone with a thin, flexible rod. Just as modern kendo is not about using a Japanese sword; it's about slapping someone with a piece of bamboo.
There are only two swords called sabers that I am aware of. Sporting sabers and cavalry sabers. I am perfectly aware that they are different. However the OP did not specify which one so it is relevant to talk about the nature of saber fencing.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #24
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
There are only two swords called sabers that I am aware of. Sporting sabers and cavalry sabers. I am perfectly aware that they are different. However the OP did not specify which one so it is relevant to talk about the nature of saber fencing.
I meant the sport saber since the cavalry one cant be uses with fencing saber skill
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #25
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I'm fairly sure the "Edged Rapier" is a 16th century cut-and-thrust sword, and is significantly wider than late period rapiers (or even contemporary rapiers).
That depends on the definition (one thoughtful essay)! The problem is that while English writers contrasted "swords" and "rapiers" people in France and Italy just wrote about swords (epee or spada) which might be longer and shorter, pokier or slashier depending on taste. A GURPS "rapier" is presumably a very long, very slender sword, while the edged rapier is a bit shorter with a wider, heavier blade.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
That depends on the definition (one thoughtful essay)!
That would seem to indicated that the GURPS edged rapier is probably the sword that most "rapier" styles ought to be using.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #27
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

On rapiers: Real-world rapiers have edges. Like swords with blunt tips, rapiers with blunt edges are a weird GURPS-ism dating to Man to Man. It would be nice if we could change "edged rapier" to "rapier" and "thrusting broadsword" to "arming sword" or something, but we're stuck with convention.

On sabers: The GURPS fencing saber is neither a cavalry saber nor a sport saber. It's actually a third thing that comes closest to a dha or a shortish katana. It isn't entirely fictional, but it comes close . . . it's in the game to cover things like sleek, curving elven blades, and to allow those who want katanas to work like fencing weapons to have something suitable.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:57 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
On rapiers: Real-world rapiers have edges. Like swords with blunt tips, rapiers with blunt edges are a weird GURPS-ism dating to Man to Man. It would be nice if we could change "edged rapier" to "rapier" and "thrusting broadsword" to "arming sword" or something, but we're stuck with convention.
There are historical swords with long, thin, blades and minimal or no edges. Whether they get called "rapiers" or "estocs" or "verduco" or whatever depends on who is doing the calling. They were real weapons, though.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #29
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That would seem to indicated that the GURPS edged rapier is probably the sword that most "rapier" styles ought to be using.
Yes, I would be happy to represent a lot of upper-class European swords in the 16th and 17th century as Edged Rapiers, with a few Rapiers and Thrusting Broadswords. But in a game set in England, I might want to contrast the good English short sword with the evil foreign rapier by giving them significantly different stats. (Ken Hite and Robin D. Laws mused about how to chose what to model in their podcast a few weeks back).

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote