Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #21
jason taylor

Default Re: Fates worse than death

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
You have a low tolerance of discomfort.
Being Norwegian? Well OK there are probably a number of things I would not like, I was born where I was and used to it's ways, and anyway I have my tribalistic attachments. Not to mention my ideological ones which are kind of-different-from Portland's but reasonably acceptable in Eastern Oregon and probably the apple belt. But Norway is a civilized place and living there is reasonably endurable. It can't be a fate worse than death. At least not when we have already compared it to the curses of Sisyphus and Prometheus.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:55 AM   #22
RyanW

I sort of accidentally made a character for the one VtM game that I played that I came to realize would have seen becoming a vampire to be a fate worse than death.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #23
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
But Norway is a civilized place and living there is reasonably endurable.
Norway is fine, even beautiful. The problem with it is that it's full of Norwegians.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #24
Black Leviathan

I played in a game were I was a tech scavenger in a post-fall society and I found a woman who had made herself a cyborg (Highly illegal) I helped her find parts to repair her body and forged documents to help her establish an identity. In the process I made an enemy that went after my character's sister and injured her fatally. Desperate to save her I broke into a forbidden pre-fall facility so this cyborg could turn my sister into a cyborg as well. We were caught and I died in the chase to escape, then awoke as if nothing happened only to slowly realize I was more machine than man. It was a hard realization and I would have felt better if the character died.

We had a slaver character who was given the choice to enslave his best friend or be chained and sold himself.

We had a character who was a social peacock who ended up saving billions of people by locking down a jumpgate to stop a fleet of suicide bombing ships but in the process he was marooned on a dead world with only a handful of people who didn't like him very much

I've lost track of how many characters we had that ended up in soul jar over the years. We had a lesser NPC noble that tried to frame us for a murder of a priest. We grabbed him and soul jarred him into the outhouse behind the local inn.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #25
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Norway is fine, even beautiful. The problem with it is that it's full of Norwegians.
They won't bother you. They are all busy pursuing ten thousand Swedes through the weeds.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #26
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Well, in MAGOne's GURPS Fringeworthy game, one of the characters committed suicide, twice. Both times they were brought back. The big-bad told the character "you can't get away from me that easy."

My character, James, keeps waking up on his 16th birthday. So many things have happened, but he keeps waking up back there. The furthest he's ever made it is to February of the following year. Through one of his time-lines, he made friends with a powerful vampire during the 1970s. When he told her his story, she decided to keep the phone number she had back then, so, he could always call her. Now, when he wakes up on July 13th, again. He picks up his cell phone, dials the number and says to the answering service: "This is James; I'm declaring a Code: Conundrum."

The Source was kept frozen (yet conscious due to her alien physiology), for study--for decades, before she was released by Carmen.

Suzi was turned into a vampire and compelled to betray her friends, but, suffered the agony of refusing her master, by refusing betray them, or feeding from humans, until Blackwolf found her. (What's left of her "master" gets to endure, in a bottle, on a shelf, in Asmodeus' office.)
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:57 PM   #27
fredtheobviouspseudonym

I placed a PC in a position where she had to decide which of her friend's long standing characters had to face death.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:08 PM   #28
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I just remembered Feebleman, another Player's character in a super-villians game. Feeble-man wished for infinite wishes, and at some point the genie got fed up with him. He suffered from a variable number of chronic and debilitating illnesses at any moment, and died from them and came back to life with some regularity.

Possession can be this. There are a number of variants on it, but being trapped in your own body while some malicious entity goes about doing things you strenuously disagree with is the core horror, whether you're being controlled by a demon, a goa'uld, or a wizard

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 03-18-2019 at 03:12 PM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:59 AM   #29
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I played in a game were I was a tech scavenger in a post-fall society and I found a woman who had made herself a cyborg (Highly illegal) I helped her find parts to repair her body and forged documents to help her establish an identity. In the process I made an enemy that went after my character's sister and injured her fatally. Desperate to save her I broke into a forbidden pre-fall facility so this cyborg could turn my sister into a cyborg as well. We were caught and I died in the chase to escape, then awoke as if nothing happened only to slowly realize I was more machine than man. It was a hard realization and I would have felt better if the character died.
I cooked up an encounter (never actually used) of a steampunk scientist that had built a combat robot, but to save time he used a living brain rather than clockwork. Hey, nobody's going to be upset if New York City has one less street orphan, right?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #30
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
I cooked up an encounter (never actually used) of a steampunk scientist that had built a combat robot, but to save time he used a living brain rather than clockwork. Hey, nobody's going to be upset if New York City has one less street orphan, right?
Probably true unfortunately, but man that's creepy. Of course that was presumably the intention.