Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2007, 01:50 AM   #31
Hastur

Default Re: Feinting with a Slam attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
That's just how GURPS works. Play another game if you don't like it. ;) After lots of testing, "you only need to think about your defenses if your foe's attack could kill you" proved to be easiest to remember, easiest to use, and most balanced. If nothing else, it keeps die rolling down.

So, if i have one bullet left in my gun, and i want to have somone dodge and drop before i risk my final bullet on them(harder to dodge when they lie down) there is no way to do that, because they dont have to defend until they are hit?
i thought i read that dodging bullets was actually seeing the rifle point and infering the trajectory and jsut staying out of the way.

Also, if i did want defences to trigger from every attack, what would be unbalanced about that? im not good at foreseeing the consequences of my declarations(though i agree it is generally easiest)

Ps. while on the topic, can i feint with my gun/shots or deceptive attack?
Hastur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #32
Xplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incard
Feinting with a Slam attack is a good way to move in on an enemy. If you aren't interested in actually slamming your foe, but just need to close the distance, why not toss a slam-feint in there as you approach?
I didn't see a specific answer to this, so:

Because you can't. Feint is a Maneuver that allows a step. Move and Attack is a different Maneuver during which you don't have the option of feinting instead of attacking. You could Move and Attack and attempt a Slam, and then "pull" the Slam so that it has no effect on a successful attack roll, but that doesn't make it a feint.

You might be able to convince a GM to let you do this - I don't have any immediate objections - but it's not RAW.

Note that per RAW, you can use AoA to move up to half your Move and then feint and attack, and you could use Brawling for the feint and call it a "fake slam" if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastur
So, if i have one bullet left in my gun, and i want to have somone dodge and drop before i risk my final bullet on them(harder to dodge when they lie down) there is no way to do that, because they dont have to defend until they are hit?
Your example makes no sense, because you're saying "I want to use my last bullet in a way that makes it easier to hit with more bullets that I don't have." (Either that, or "I want to use a lethal attack on somebody so that it's easier to run up and kick him.")

If you want someone to get on the ground just because you're pointing a gun at him, try Intimidate, but this will only work if he believes you won't shoot him if he does what you want! If you want to force them down, try mind control...

Quote:
Ps. while on the topic, can i feint with my gun/shots or deceptive attack?
Per RAW, no. Only melee attacks.

Personally, I'd allow both of these in a cinematic game. Faking someone out so that they dodge the wrong way and then taking advantage of their predictable motion is a popular idea, and works as a Feint; tricks like spinning around and shooting from behind your back or holding up a cape and shooting through it so your opponent can't see your attack seem like Deceptive Attacks.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:13 PM   #33
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo
If you want someone to get on the ground just because you're pointing a gun at him, try Intimidate, but this will only work if he believes you won't shoot him if he does what you want! If you want to force them down, try mind control...
Disagree completely. If you start getting down only after the bullet left the barrel (or should I mention a LASERgun?), you will not get out of the way in time.

Last edited by vicky_molokh; 07-15-2007 at 12:46 AM.
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:07 PM   #34
nik1979

I'm imagining, A guy shouting "BANG" against a jittery opponent.
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #35
Xplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Disagree completely. If you start getting down only after the bullet left the barrel (or should I mention a LASERgun?), you will not get out of the way in time.
Nope, you sure won't. What were you disagreeing with, exactly?
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:47 AM   #36
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo
Nope, you sure won't. What were you disagreeing with, exactly?
That you need Intimidate to make the opponent Drop against your gun pointed at them. If they want to dodge the bullet, they will have to drop once the gun is pointed at them.

Tags
feint, slam