Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Doctor Thantos

Default Vampiric Regen Aura

I would like some feed back as well as clarification.

Working on a Vampire Regen power based on Leech and a 2 yard Area of Effect.
I want the power to work with a melee attack (any weapon) and when it strikes the user heals 1 HP.

Based on the following
Leech ( Vampiric Drain aura)
Accelerated Healing, +25% (Does 1 point per 1 point drained / level)
Area Effect, +50% (2 yards)
Costs Fatigue, -5% (Costs 1 point of Fatigue when it activates
Reflexive, +40% (Goes off when attack damages something. takes less than 1 second to leech)
Takes Recharge, -10% (usable 1 every 5 seconds)
Trigger, -10% (Very Common) - in hand weapon causes damage

Its for a Dota like game theme I am working on, so there will be regen for hp and for FP.

Questions,
1.) As written would it drain everything in the AoE when hit? (damage everything in the AoE by 1 HP?
2.) Would the power allow healing of 1/HP per target hit or is it limited to the 1 HP recovered per level of the Power.

Thanks
Doctor Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
thulben

Default Re: Vampiric Regen Aura

The Imbuments book has an Imbument called "Vampiric Weapon" that does pretty much what you want it to do.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Thantos View Post
Questions,
1.) As written would it drain everything in the AoE when hit? (damage everything in the AoE by 1 HP?
2.) Would the power allow healing of 1/HP per target hit or is it limited to the 1 HP recovered per level of the Power.

Thanks
1) yes
2) only 1 HP healed regardless how many you damage.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Snaps

I think the correct build for what you want would be something like:

Leech 1 (Cosmic: No Grapple Required, +50%; Accelerated Healing, +25%; Aura, +80%; Costs Fatigue 1, -5%; Not when touched or struck, -50%; Accessibility: Only after successful sword attack, -20%; Takes Recharge, 5 seconds, -10%; Melee Attack, Reach 1-2, -20%; PM: -10%) [35 Points]

But I'm not sure if this is exactly RAW. Technically Aura says you MUST purchase Melee Attack at the Reach C level, so I'm not sure if you can instead get Reach 1, 2 with it. (But personally I don't see this as a problem.)
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
the_matrix_walker

And to affect something without touching it, you need Malediction 2 (and possibly Ranged).
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
And to affect something without touching it, you need Malediction 2 (and possibly Ranged).
But wait, Kromm has given us an easier way....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I think you could approximate it fairly well with Leech given Cosmic, +50% to let it ride on any attack, not just a grapple, and a small Accessibility limitation that restricts total HP healed to the damage delivered by the attack. You'll need other modifiers to get the timing, rate of return, etc., right, but those two should give you the necessary effects.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
2) only 1 HP healed regardless how many you damage.
Really? Why does Area Effect work differently with Leech than other attacks (Innate Attack, Affliction...)? Where is this specified?
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Jerander

By the way, here's what I came up with for a similar build and some follow-on discussion, including links to RPK's opinions on the build.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerander View Post
Really? Why does Area Effect work differently with Leech than other attacks (Innate Attack, Affliction...)? Where is this specified?
It doesn't, but Leech does have some unique traits that bear attention.
But keep in mind, Innate Attack and Malediction are "Attacks", and Leech isn't.

I'm talking about the HP drain rate in particular. Leech lets you drain 1 HP per level, and heal 1 for every 3 you drain (unmodified).

Adding Area Effect (and Cosmic or Malediction) lets the same effect go wide, but does not change the nature of the advantage. I would submit, that if you had 3 people in you area, draining 1 from each is draining 3 HP, and to drain 3 HP, you need Leech level 3. Leech itself is not an "attack" so would not just damage everyone in the area.

And that's not Area Effect working differently, that's Leech working as it's written. That would be my ruling anyway.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #10
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
It doesn't, but Leech does have some unique traits that bear attention.
But keep in mind, Innate Attack and Malediction are "Attacks", and Leech isn't.

I'm talking about the HP drain rate in particular. Leech lets you drain 1 HP per level, and heal 1 for every 3 you drain (unmodified).

Adding Area Effect (and Cosmic or Malediction) lets the same effect go wide, but does not change the nature of the advantage. I would submit, that if you had 3 people in you area, draining 1 from each is draining 3 HP, and to drain 3 HP, you need Leech level 3. Leech itself is not an "attack" so would not just damage everyone in the area.

And that's not Area Effect working differently, that's Leech working as it's written. That would be my ruling anyway.
So what you're saying the limit on HP drain is set by the level of the advantage you buy, rather than the number of people in the area. So in order to drain more than 1-HP per use, you'd need more levels.

Why don't you need to buy up Innate Attack in the same way? Suppose you buy an IA that does only 1-pt of damage, then add Area Effect. Does it effect everyone in the area, or just do 1-pt to one target?

Last edited by Jerander; 05-06-2013 at 09:51 AM.

Tags
area of effect, auras of power, leech, malediction, multiple victims, ranged