Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
Tim Kauffman

Default LASER TOWER troubles...

So, it has been mentioned before that the Laser Towers in OGRE are not capable of the ranges they have in game because they are not tall enough for the trajectory.

I think the general consensus was a Laser Tower would have to be around 1500 feet tall to have a 60 hex range!

I would suggest the Laser Towers themselves house a telescoping Nano-Tube which at it's end has a reflective mirror which is movable
and the Laser uses for trajectory attacks not possible using only it's Laser and Turret.
This telescoping Nano-Tube reflective mirror is able to extend straight upwards 1500 feet from the Laser Towers center and top to create the needed trajectory
to hit a target at the games range of 60 hexes.
When not being used, it is retracted inside the Laser Tower and the mirror rests flush on the center top of the turret.

Nano Technology would make the Laser Tower ranges in OGRE possible.

This would explain the need to have the Laser Tower the official height that it is, as it houses the telescoping Nano-Tube mirror.
A Laser Turret does not have a Laser Towers range trajectory because it does not have the required space to house this device.
It is only noticeable when being deployed.
Thus, nothing is physically changed of the official Laser Towers appearance other than the mirror which would rest on the Laser Towers turret top.
The mirror of course would be facing inside the Tower and when retracted, all that would show is the opposite non-mirrored side.

Here's a rough schematic illustrating the concept:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/115962...7646783437896/

Interesting stuff about Nano Technology related to this concept:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_nanotube

Laser Towers in OGRE can really work as described in the game...

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 08-25-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: LASER TOWER troubles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
Laser Towers in OGRE can really work as described in the game...
Aren't drones (already assumed in the operation of other units in the game) a lot easier?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Tim Kauffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Aren't drones (already assumed in the operation of other units in the game) a lot easier?
Yep...Drones would be another method.

The only problem I see with drones is not being as stable as a telescoping Nano-tube mirror, especially when considering wind conditions.

Nontheless, we can all rest easier in the knowledge that Laser Towers in OGRE have not only one plausible explanation as to how they can work...but two. :D
Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
hcobb

WMG: The Laser Tower is designed to take long range shots and to defend against close range attacks, just not both at the same instant. It is composed of overlapping layers that extend and retract as needed.