Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
the_matrix_walker

Default The "Game Time" 0% Modifier

Could anyone explain to me why the defaults time exchange for this is SO drastic? It seems to me to be pointed in the wrong direction as well!

The stated example of serendipity 3 would send someone from three times every time we sit down to play, vs 3 times per game week! A week in the game could EASILY take 10 game sessions, and I can think of very few meaningful abuses that could come up if the GM simply say's "two weeks pass"

Can anyone convince me that this non-modifying modifier could be anything but a severe limitation??

The only potentially useful advantage I can think of for this would be if you had ridiculous luck. Then you could use it on back to back rolls, but even then; if you have die hards (like my guys) who play for 10 hours you're trading a potential for 30 uses (however unlikely it would be to use it at EVERY opportunity) for 3!

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-15-2009 at 12:59 PM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Maz

Default Re: The "Game Time" 0% Modifier

Well for your group it might never be an advantage. But for others it will.- t depends on your game style.

For instance if you can use Luck every 30 minute.

Most of hour combats take about 30 mins of real time, but only a few secons in game.

If it is real time, then you can use luck every combat. If it is ingame it would only be once per session.

---

On the other hand, once we are out of combatand in a city having to do some investigation. There migth very well pass 4-6 ingame hours with only 30 mins of real time.
If it is real time it can only be used once during this invesitgation. If it is game time, it could be used 10 times or so, making you able to reroll just about every die roll you would have to roll in the time.

---

I prefer for it to be Real Time. But in some campaigns having it be Game time might be an advantage. Usually if it's not a combat heavy campaign.

Last edited by Maz; 03-15-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

Sorry, you're mistaken! Extraordinary luck is 2 times Per hour, so with the game time non modifier, it would be usable 2 time per GAME DAY (game time translates the number of times you can usually use it per game hour into times you can use it per Game day)

(It's not as bad as my brain was originally remembering it (as game session, instead of game day)

Powers Page 108

Game Time
+0%
Some traits – including Luck,
Serendipity, and Wild Talent – rely on
real time. This modifier lets such an
advantage use game time instead. If it
usually works at least once per real
hour, you get uses per game day equal
to its maximum possible uses per real
hour; e.g., Ridiculous Luck, which
works every 10 real minutes, gets six
uses per game day. If it’s rated in uses
per session, you get that many uses
per game week; e.g., Serendipity 3
gives three uses per game week. The
GM may adjust these ratios.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-15-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker
The stated example of serendipity 3 would send someone from three times every time we sit down to play, vs 3 times per game week! A week in the game could EASILY take 10 game sessions,
Or it could be skipped past in a blur of the GM saying "time passes". The basic assumption is that the times when a week takes 10 sessions will be balanced out by the times when a single session contains four or five events each separated by a week which the GM skips past. If you're GMing, you need to take that assumption into account, and not hose the player who took the Game Time enhancement.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Kelly Pedersen

[QUOTE=the_matrix_walker]Extraordinary luck is 2 times Per hour, so with the game time non modifier, it would be usable 2 time per GAME DAY
[quote]

The point about the investigation still stands. That's something that could easily have only one use of Luck apply with the standard system, but give you several uses with Game Time.

Quote:
Powers Page 108

Game Time
I'm not a mod or anything, but I'm pretty sure that quoting the entire text of an enhancement is a bit beyond the limit of what SJGames considers acceptable use of their IP.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen
Or it could be skipped past in a blur of the GM saying "time passes". The basic assumption is that the times when a week takes 10 sessions will be balanced out by the times when a single session contains four or five events each separated by a week which the GM skips past. If you're GMing, you need to take that assumption into account, and not hose the player who took the Game Time enhancement.
I've been gaming for more than 20 years, and this is pretty rare amongst my group, usually restricted to traveling times in fantasy settings. Even so, you're not going to be making luck applicable rolls for things that happened in this time very often...
Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The playtesters agreed that it averages out. Whatever you do in your games, all these people seemed in agreement that "a month passes" (entitling the PC to all kinds of uses of Luck or whatever for events, like enchanting, during the month) happens as often as detailed gaming out of an hour that takes quite a few hours to play. Whence +0%.

If your experiences differ, change the value.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
I've been gaming for more than 20 years, and this is pretty rare amongst my group, usually restricted to traveling times in fantasy settings. Even so, you're not going to be making luck applicable rolls for things that happened in this time very often...
Whereas I've been gaming for only about 10 years, and I've come across lots of situations where someone doing non-combat activities can cover the space of several hours of in-world time, and make several rolls. Maz already pointed out investigations, and I could add socializing, mechanic work, research, and doing surveillance. In any situations where you make several rolls and several in-world hours pass in less time in the real world, Game-Time Luck will be more useful than standard luck.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
The point about the investigation still stands. That's something that could easily have only one use of Luck apply with the standard system, but give you several uses with Game Time.
eh... Maybe so, but unless your GM frequently does this (ie multiple times per session) you're still talking about 30 points of extraordinary luck giving a second reroll for a single advancement of time span vs a vast number of additional activities over the same course of (role-playing) time. If you have regualar 15 point luck, there would be zero additional benefit for the search example.

Quote:
I'm not a mod or anything, but I'm pretty sure that quoting the entire text of an enhancement is a bit beyond the limit of what SJGames considers acceptable use of their IP.
Sorry about pasting the paragraph, next time I'll just use the page reference..

So.... A modifier "Once per day unless the gm skips unimportant time to advance the clock" just doesn't seem equal to "every hour of play" to me... Which is fine, I can just never take it! I just wanted to see if anyone had thoughts that could make me see this as equally useful to the unmodified version.

I thought luck couldn't be used for enchantment... was that a previous edition, or am I thinking of a house rule from the days of yore...hmmm

(just looked, it's just not usable for ceremonial enchantment)

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-15-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Whereas I've been gaming for only about 10 years, and I've come across lots of situations where someone doing non-combat activities can cover the space of several hours of in-world time, and make several rolls.
And I've been gaming for 30 years as of this year, and must agree with you. Most game sessions, in my experience, are like this. Currently, 1,100 calendar days have passed in my long-term campaign. That's 26,400 hours (and let's include resting hours, since HT rolls for healing, Per rolls to wake up when ambushed, Oneiromancy rolls, etc. all matter, too). We've gamed those out over the course of around 250 game sessions that averaged four hours of actual play time, or about 1,000 hours. Thus, the compression factor is 26:1. If you play one game session in my campaign, and it runs four hours during which you would get at most four uses of unmodified Luck, about 104 hours or 4.3 days will pass in the game world, during which you'd get . . . four uses of Luck (Game Time).
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation, modifiers