Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 05-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Gidoza

Default Couple More Clarifications :)

Hello - I just have a few more questions to clarify/backup to make sure I'm clear on things, if you will. :)

1. The Orc's ignore curses ability - Can this ability be used to wipe out permanent curses as well when they've already been on the table for some time? (as in, I had a curse for a while, then became an Orc later)

2. Regarding 1. - Other than the text, is there any particular way to tell which curses are instant and which ones are permanent? Although I can't remember particular examples at the moment, I seem to recall that there were a couple curses that had ambiguous wording that made me wonder whether they were instant or permanent.

3. When Kicking Down the Door, if a curse card turns up or something else like Divine Intervention, can the Annihilation card be used to cancel it? I ask because turning up a card doesn't seem the same as "playing" a card, but this might work and I don't know.

4. I am presuming that - since there's no specification - a thief can steal as many times as he/she wants in any given turn, during anyone's turn (except during combat), and even if he/she is level 1 and fails the steal. Is this correct?

Thanks!
-Gidoza
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Couple More Clarifications :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidoza View Post
Hello - I just have a few more questions to clarify/backup to make sure I'm clear on things, if you will. :)
From this point forward, try to keep questions to one per thread, though 1 and 2 in this instance are a good example of related questions that could be grouped together.

Quote:
1. The Orc's ignore curses ability - Can this ability be used to wipe out permanent curses as well when they've already been on the table for some time? (as in, I had a curse for a while, then became an Orc later)
No. It must be done when the Curse first appears. Only a Wishing Ring, or similar Item, can remove a continuing Curse.

Quote:
2. Regarding 1. - Other than the text, is there any particular way to tell which curses are instant and which ones are permanent? Although I can't remember particular examples at the moment, I seem to recall that there were a couple curses that had ambiguous wording that made me wonder whether they were instant or permanent.
The Curse will typically say if it is to remain on the table, but the rules also state that if a Curse has a continuing effect, it's to remain on the table.

Quote:
3. When Kicking Down the Door, if a curse card turns up or something else like Divine Intervention, can the Annihilation card be used to cancel it? I ask because turning up a card doesn't seem the same as "playing" a card, but this might work and I don't know.
We treat those types of cards as just played, so Annihilation can be used on a Curse, Monster, or Divine Intervention found by kicking open the door.

Quote:
4. I am presuming that - since there's no specification - a thief can steal as many times as he/she wants in any given turn, during anyone's turn (except during combat), and even if he/she is level 1 and fails the steal. Is this correct?
Hmmm. Not quite, but close. A Thief can steal as many times as he wants, assuming he has the cards to discard, during anyone's turn, but not while he is in combat, and not from someone who is in combat.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
We treat those types of cards as just played, so Annihilation can be used on a Curse, Monster, or Divine Intervention found by kicking open the door.
I've seen conflicting rulings in the past. Andrew said here that Kicking Open a Door is not playing a card, so a monster or a non-continuing curse would not qualify to be immediately removed with Annihilation.

I'd agree that Divine Intervention found by Kicking Open the Door can be Annihilated as it goes into your hand (like any card which is neither a curse nor a monster) and then must be played immediately afterwards.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Gidoza

Quote:
From this point forward, try to keep questions to one per thread, though 1 and 2 in this instance are a good example of related questions that could be grouped together.
Honestly, I'm kinda surprised at this, though I'll keep it in mind. Though I was asking legitimate questions, I've been banned from other forums for "spamming" by doing this very thing!

Anyways - for the Orc ability, even though I can't cancel an existing curse, I could nonetheless cancel a permanent curse *as it was being played,* yes?

And Clipper - what do you mean that it could be annihilated "as it goes into your hand?" That's not playing a card. Did you mean, "As it comes out of your hand" after it has already come into your hand?
Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
Devin Lewis
Munchkin Associate Dev

The reason we ask that you make separate threads with descriptive titles for different questions is so that we can more easily keep track of any rulings we make and so that it can be readily searchable by anyone with the same question.

For the Orc ability, yes.

I'm not sure about Clipper's turn of phrase, but Divine Intervention can be the target of Annihilation when it is kicked down.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidoza View Post
And Clipper - what do you mean that it could be annihilated "as it goes into your hand?" That's not playing a card. Did you mean, "As it comes out of your hand" after it has already come into your hand?
My wording made it slightly ambiguous, sorry. Here's what I was trying to say (the comma after 'Annihilated' makes all the difference):

I'd agree that Divine Intervention found by Kicking Open the Door can be Annihilated, as it goes into your hand and is then played immediately. Thus, when it is played, it can be Annihilated.

However, I also add one more caveat. It has also been ruled that you cannot use Annihilation to cancel cards you play yourself (as it says an opponent must play the card if you want to cancel it). So if the holder of Annihilation draws Divine Intervention when he is Kicking Open the Door, he can't cancel it.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Gidoza

Thanks! All makes sense now. :D
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
DeluxeFlame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post

However, I also add one more caveat. It has also been ruled that you cannot use Annihilation to cancel cards you play yourself (as it says an opponent must play the card if you want to cancel it). So if the holder of Annihilation draws Divine Intervention when he is Kicking Open the Door, he can't cancel it.
Good to know, I better make a deal with another non-cleric to take my Annihilation card before I kick down the door when there is a level 9 cleric in the game. Though this will make it vulnerable as a card on the field.
DeluxeFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Brf

You cannot just give cards to other players. It would have had to be in charity the turn before.
Brf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Clipper

To fully clarify what Brf is saying, you can only give away Items to other players. Annihilation is not an Item, so it cannot be traded with other players.