Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #1
Extrarius

Default How to regain parry from move and attack?

I'm playing in a GURPS DF game as a Swashbuckler that dual-wields swords. Since I don't have a shield, I have weapons master, I have enhanced parry 3, and I have two parries per penalty level, my parry is my primary defense.

I can get around the skill cap of move-and-attack with Heroic Charge (MA) and/or Run and Hit (DF11), but I can't find any way in RAW to keep my parry defense when I perform a move and attack.

Is there a RAW way to keep the option to parry after a move and attack?
If not, would you allow some method to do it, similar in vein to the power-ups in DF11? How many points would you charge if you'd allow some method? I appreciate any food for thought.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #2
Donny Brook

Default Re: How to regain parry from move and attack?

Altered Time Rate, probably with some creative Limitations to keep it affordable.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Altered Time Rate, probably with some creative Limitations to keep it affordable.
That's gonna be expensive.

Extrarius, you already know how Run and Hit was built, I'd go that route. So...

Run and Defend 5 points
Prerequisites: Any Melee Weapon skill, Run and Hit, and Trained by a Master or Weapon Master.
This power-up lets you make a Parry with a Move and Attack maneuver (p. B366), instead of being denied it.
You must buy this power-up for one specific Melee Weapon skill.

Perks: Unique Technique (Running Defense) [1].
Techniques: Running Defense (H) Skill+0 [4].

Someone better at Technique building might want to check my math but I went with -1 for Special Benefit (Parry on a Move and Attack*), and then -2 to overcome the -2 DX to skills.... which might not be necessary. I made it a Hard Technique just because.

But arguably this could just be a Perk...

Running Defense
Prerequisite: Run and Hit.
You may Parry when you make a Move and Attack.

Also note that Martial Arts already allows Parries on Move and Attack, just not with the arm that made an attack.

Last edited by evileeyore; 12-06-2018 at 02:09 PM.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I went with -1 for Special Benefit (Parry on a Move and Attack*), and then -2 to overcome the -2 DX to skills.... which might not be necessary. I made it a Hard Technique just because.

But arguably this could just be a Perk...

Running Defense
Prerequisite: Run and Hit.
You may Parry when you make a Move and Attack.
Given that examples already exist of this being designed as a technique (which must be specific to a single combat skill) allowing it as a perk seems too cheap.

At bare minimum if you ignore buying off the -2 to DX and treat it as an easy technique, paying 1 point to get "Unique Technique" to use the technique at default should mean an additional -1 to your attack if the limb is retaining parry.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:35 PM   #5
ZmbeHntr

The Extra Effort options on p. 131 of Martial Arts have something called Rapid Recovery that does exactly what you want if you burn a FP.
ZmbeHntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:18 PM   #6
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmbeHntr View Post
The Extra Effort options on p. 131 of Martial Arts have something called Rapid Recovery that does exactly what you want if you burn a FP.
Oh, nice catch!
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
Extrarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
[...]
Also note that Martial Arts already allows Parries on Move and Attack, just not with the arm that made an attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZmbeHntr View Post
Thanks both of you for pointing these things out. My GM decided not to go with the technique, but has allowed the MA107 parry rule as an 'extra option' perk so I can avoid DWA to maintain a parry during move and attack, and the option to burn a FP will be helpful when I really need to do maximum damage.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote