Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
Lameth

Default RPM House Rule Question

According to the write up, the max trapping will give you is a -25% off the cost. Does anyone adjust that as a house rule? And if so, how well did it work?

I am running a "Dresden" and "Harry Potter" like magic game and I was pondering adjusting the total off you can gather of the cost.

Right now, playing with some numbers for an example, if you have a wand, its -5%, if you have a quality wand its -10%, Incantation in accented Latin its -5%, and a gesture is -5% off. For a total of -20% off. If the spell costs 60 points, that would bring it down to 48. For ES RPM, it would bring that -6 ritual down only to a -5. So using all those focuses only removed a -1.

I am also thinking about allowing a lower failure level on dice if you use foci.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: RPM House Rule Question

When you say "according to the write up" do you mean the RAW state that the max is -25% energy cost or your house rule? RPM p. 36 has examples in excess of that.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:03 AM   #3
gmillerd

Default Re: RPM House Rule Question

I made a wand/staff affinity system, much like what Rowling describes in her materials mated with astrology and so forth. And like you suggest quality on top of that. And then allowing signature / familiarity specialization on top of that. And then a trait discovery / inanimate familiar system on top of that.

In HP you can see really skilled people being able to use most any mundane wand, but wands that have a strong affinity not so much. The 'wands chooses the wizard' its probably pretty hyped, but upfront bonuses or training wheels when you are low skill likely makes it seem that way.

When using mixed magery (mundane, aspect, and or school specific) with certain wand/staff material combinations lend themselves to such schools or aspects.

So there might be 'training wheel' wands out there, which school kids use. These are good at the three R's as it were and maybe have capped channeling, but low crit failures chance.

At low skill or magery level having a opposing match or "untamed" wand, would be a negative modifier. Especially if you dont have access at low level to what it might yield bonuses for at your skill level.

If I had a suggestion, its perhaps negative effects / bonuses or special failures effects. You don't want to critical fail with a Jason Voorhees's wand, perhaps not against him or the Undead if you lack familiarity with that school