Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 11-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
sn0wball

Default Robo-Soldier to Patrol South Korean Border

Quote:
SEOUL, Sept. 29, 2006 — South Korea has unveiled an armed robot that it says will able to detect and repel intruders along its heavily armed border with North Korea.
Source :

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/sto...2504508&page=1

or directly from the company

http://www.samsungtechwin.com/produc.../SSsystem.html

If that isnīt interesting from the THS view point, I donīt know. Such things - or more dangerous variants - might be still in use in backwater countries in 2100.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Robo-Soldier to Patrol South Korean Border

There is no way this thing is fully autonomous, it has to be an RPV. Nothing in the add copy indicates AI but it does mention "Operated and controlled by console with joystick (zoom-in/out,pan/tilt) and touch screen"

AFAIK no AI systems currently exist that can reliably identify objects in a chaotic enviroment.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:37 PM   #3
Kitsune

Quote:
Such things - or more dangerous variants - might be still in use in backwater countries in 2100.
As far as the THS setting is concerned I suspect that even for the most backwater country the effort of upkeep for such archaic a device might be far higher than to import some mid century cybershell that is outdated but way more efficient.

But nonetheless: thanks for the link. It is interesting to see these developments. Perhaps we really end up in a world not unsimiliar to THS one day.

Last edited by Kitsune; 11-15-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
leslie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
There is no way this thing is fully autonomous, it has to be an RPV. Nothing in the add copy indicates AI but it does mention "Operated and controlled by console with joystick (zoom-in/out,pan/tilt) and touch screen"

AFAIK no AI systems currently exist that can reliably identify objects in a chaotic enviroment.
It's not a vehicle, it doesn't move. And DMZ is not a chaotic environment, it's a blasted barren no-man's zone, where IR sensors will work quite handily to pinpoint possible trespassers.

And yes, afterwards a human operator has to control the device, aim it and decide whether to shoot. :-)
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie
It's not a vehicle, it doesn't move.
Actually it does move, it's just not motile. Regardless, it appears to be a Remote Operated "robot" rather than an autonomous one.
Quote:
And DMZ is not a chaotic environment, it's a blasted barren no-man's zone, where IR sensors will work quite handily to pinpoint possible trespassers.
It is more chaotic than carefully control laboratory conditions which AFAIK is an enviroment that still defeats AI pattern recognition. These kind of systems haven't even been able to tell the difference between cars and trees reliably, I hardly see how they can be expected to tell the difference between a person and a deer.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:14 AM   #6
leslie

Quote:
Actually it does move, it's just not motile.
Now that is the kind of linguistic pedantry up with which I will not put! ;->

Quote:
It is more chaotic than carefully control laboratory conditions which AFAIK is an enviroment that still defeats AI pattern recognition. These kind of systems haven't even been able to tell the difference between cars and trees reliably, I hardly see how they can be expected to tell the difference between a person and a deer.
But it does not have to be able to tell the difference between a person and a deer, deers usually do not cuth through razor wire and pass through minefields in order to enter a blasted no-man's land. :-> IR sensors are perfectly adequate here.
leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
sn0wball

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie
deers usually do not cuth through razor wire and pass through minefields in order to enter a blasted no-man's land.
At least not now - but they are working on it ; )

Which would make a great headline, too :

Robo-Deer to Infiltrate South Korean Border

Otherwise you are of course right, it isnīt even remotely a robot. I got carried away a bit my my THS inspired imagination, I guess.