Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #11
GM Joe

Default Re: [GURPS resources] T Bone's Games Diner updates & announcements

I'd love to see GURPS Lite brought up to the today's standards for Quickstarts. Make it longer. Make it more complete and useful, to showcase GURPS' universal nature.

And, tighten it up, as you suggested.

A while back, I put together a list of things I'd like to see changed about GURPS Lite. As I recall, it was pretty similar to your list. Just a few attributes added here and there, some small changes in equipment, and the like.

I also wanted a 48-page version that at least had the spells that made it into 3e's GURPS Lite, along with something like the BRP Quickstart's intro adventures with pregens.

It would be a great thing if even a tweaked GURPS Lite could be cost-justified...
Old 06-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #12
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
I'd love to see GURPS Lite brought up to the today's standards for Quickstarts. Make it longer. Make it more complete and useful, to showcase GURPS' universal nature.
A series of Lite Companions could do the same. A short adventure, a few pregen characters, and some foes and creatures. Just as a quick sample of "This is how GURPS can be used to do <genre>."

Basically, Lite and one other small, free book would become the Convention Game Kit.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #13
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
A series of Lite Companions could do the same. A short adventure, a few pregen characters, and some foes and creatures. Just as a quick sample of "This is how GURPS can be used to do <genre>."

Basically, Lite and one other small, free book would become the Convention Game Kit.
That would be great, and there's no reason not to do it that way in the age of PDFs. It doesn't all have to be crammed as economically as possible into a single book any more.

Assuming it makes sense to put resources into GURPS freebies, of course...
Old 06-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #14
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
A while back, I put together a list of things I'd like to see changed about GURPS Lite. As I recall, it was pretty similar to your list. Just a few attributes added here and there, some small changes in equipment, and the like.
Where's your list? Is it on this forum?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #15
Kalzazz

I really want the spells back. An RPG without magic is one I lack interest in
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #16
GM Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Where's your list? Is it on this forum?
I don't know where it is, it was a year or two ago I'd imagine. :(

I went through 3e Lite, 4e Lite and compared the trait lists, the equipment lists, etc. I remember there were a surprising number of skills listed under other skills in 4e Lite!

Then I compared the combat options presented in 4e Lite, in the back of the Basic Set: Characters, and in Basic Set: Campaigns.

From all of that, I put together my list of what I thought would be reasonable to remove from 4e Lite, and what should be added.

I may have my comparison spreadsheet around somewhere. If I come across it, I'll post it.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #17
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I really want the spells back. An RPG without magic is one I lack interest in
"... spells back"? Wait – you're right. I'd totally forgotten that LITE for 3e included magic. Basic magic rules, plus 14 spells, all barely exceeding a page and a half! That's some pretty impressive compression there!

Looking back at LITE 3e now, I see it packed in a lot of goodies compared to LITE 4e. The magic system, a more generous weapon selection, a bigger character form, a full-page sample character (ol' Dai), basics on non-humans and animals, a Tech Level table, even a little section on jobs! Yet still 32 pages.

Hey, how'd they do that? Something else must be eating up lots of space in LITE 4e, but looking at the two side by side, I'm not seeing it. A little more space spent on skills, maybe an extra page or so for combat... what else, I don't know. (Slightly bigger text? I think LITE 4e does look a bit nicer...)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
Old 06-14-2017, 09:30 PM   #18
lachimba

Quote:
GURPS LITE: Overdue for decennial maintenance?
).

How about you? Do you think LITE could use a refresh as the 2020s (and Tech Level 9??) approach?
Who is going to pay for it?

A free entry to an RPG is important, but there is one. Editing it and paying for layout is another cost and delay to something else that actually makes $$$ (as in the Basic Set).

I also believe that more focus from GURPS will be on DFRPG. A GURPS lite that more closely matched up with that series is quite possibly a good idea.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:39 AM   #19
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Who is going to pay for it?
I believe I mention that very concern: It's fine and well to think about a new LITE, and even to imagine radically different takes on a new version, but it all means work and cost for SJG.

Might not happen soon, or ever. No pressing need for a new version. It's fun to ponder a bit, that's all.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #20
RyanW

Quote:
I believe I mention that very concern: It's fine and well to think about a new LITE, and even to imagine radically different takes on a new version, but it all means work and cost for SJG.

Might not happen soon, or ever. No pressing need for a new version. It's fun to ponder a bit, that's all.
For the Lite genre add-on idea, there's little reason it can't be a fan effort for anything that isn't dependent on something that is only found in a "for profit" book (fantasy would have a lack of spells as a big stumbling block).

Tags
blog, blogs