Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #11
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Unusual Biochemistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
I'd not considered it as far as the drugs ... I just got to the bit about food and stopped.
Unusual biochemistry actually specifies that food is fully compatible. If food isn't compatible, RAW you shouldn't take Unusual Biochemistry. Though in practice I'd ignore that and use it anyway if the actual Disadvantage effects (more or less compatible drugs with more side effects and some not working at all) held.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:09 PM   #12
Otaku

I think I had a 3e character that was going to have this Disadvantage, but never got around to it.

Many years later, I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (yay -_-) and saw some parallels. It is hardly an exact match, but with food (which Unusual Biochemistry doesn't affect) and medications (which it does), it at least resembles it.

It is worth noting, for those that think the result ought to always be the same, that would make sense if all variables, and I mean all variables were the same. I've learned how rarely that can apply. XP Other foods, quantity, how well I slept the night before, etc. all affect how I'll react. One day, I can afford to take some Extra Strength Tylenol, the next day it may bother me a little, and the third day it'll cause more pain than it relieves.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #13
Rupert

I'm somewhat surprised that the Vorkosigan book doesn't give Miles this, as it's mentioned several times that there are whole drug families that he can't take because of weird reactions to them. All it mentions is his odd reaction to Fast-Penta.

A now-retired NPC in my game has this. Due to being a genemod and bio-modded as well she required some dietary supplements (most readily obtained by refining human blood) and had odd reactions to a lot of drugs. So, Dependency and Unusual Biochemistry.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:01 PM   #14
kirbwarrior

I've used it in two ways but not actually as written;

In some book a plant-like race takes it as Unusual Biochemistry: Photosynthesis. It made sense to me and I still use it, but I should look it up again to see if it actually makes sense.

I asked a while back about imitating 'positive' and 'negative' energy from That Other Game and reversing the effects worked out as a form of Unusual Biochemistry. It's a net negative because most forms of healing hurt you instead.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I'm somewhat surprised that the Vorkosigan book doesn't give Miles this, as it's mentioned several times that there are whole drug families that he can't take because of weird reactions to them. All it mentions is his odd reaction to Fast-Penta.

A now-retired NPC in my game has this. Due to being a genemod and bio-modded as well she required some dietary supplements (most readily obtained by refining human blood) and had odd reactions to a lot of drugs. So, Dependency and Unusual Biochemistry.
It does seem like Miles should be a poster child for it.

Unusual Biochemistry seems a bit like it's intended as a racial trait rather than an individual one - someone unique like Miles probably can't get personalized pharmaceutical variants at 10x price. Then again, the same could be said for Basic Set example character Xing La, who might not be biochemically unique in her home timeline Lenin-2 but may as well be as soon as she leaves. (And shopping for meds in post-apocalyptic-and-getting-worse Lennin-2 doesn't seem like a useful option.)
Old 07-10-2020, 03:23 AM   #16
scc

Unusual Biochemistry is mainly a species or racial Disadvatage, not one normally taken by individuals.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:12 AM   #17
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Unusual Biochemistry is mainly a species or racial Disadvatage, not one normally taken by individuals.
Mostly because only in supers universes can individuals get that weird. It also isn't appropriate in really cosmopolitan settings stuffed with aliens, with none of them particularly dominant an all of them Unusual to each other.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #18
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Unusual biochemistry actually specifies that food is fully compatible. If food isn't compatible, RAW you shouldn't take Unusual Biochemistry. Though in practice I'd ignore that and use it anyway if the actual Disadvantage effects (more or less compatible drugs with more side effects and some not working at all) held.
If it does affect food compatibility, that's probably Restricted Diet.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:51 AM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
If it does affect food compatibility, that's probably Restricted Diet.
That's the trait I recommended in Templates Toolkit 2 (see p. 25).

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:16 AM   #20
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Mostly because only in supers universes can individuals get that weird.
Not really? Like I said, Unusual Biochemistry is something close to what I deal with due to my IBS. Where it differs, it is because
  • Other aspects of it are covered by related Disadvantages
  • Converting the experience to a generic, game-able abstract

Maybe some of the finer aspects of it could use tweaking, and I might get into that later. Not just for representing my experience, but to make it a bit better for its original, intended purpose. The issue is avoiding going into too much detail, I think.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 07-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage of the week, unusual biochemistry