Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Arcanestomper

Default Warp Tunnel into Space

I have a player who is attempting to make a power that lets them make extended duration warp tunnels with extreme range. By itself this isn't too much of a problem.

But they brought up the possibility of then putting one end of the tunnel in space and the other end by someone they want to get rid of. Thus turning it into an efficient way of removing people from play.

I know what happens if you use an affliction warp, or a warp with exoteleport. But I'm not sure what happens with warp tunnels. Are there rules to handle this?
Arcanestomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Warp Tunnel into Space

One way to handle it is they can dive for cover as for any Area attack.
However I say atmosphere and such does not go through, you have to walk through. Otherwise Warp can be used to flood cities and other shenaigans.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #3
Nereidalbel

Since Warp Tunnels appear quite close to the user, he's gonna have to make the same "don't die" roll as his target every time he uses such an "attack." If that doesn't change his mind about this, well, you told him so when he gets himself killed!
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
Anaraxes

No reason that the Tunnel Enhancement obviates the resistance you'd get with an Affliction Warp.

A strict GM might require the attack form to be built as a separate ability, probably an AA with the main transportation power (since the attack forms are supposed to be Afflictions).
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Since Warp Tunnels appear quite close to the user, he's gonna have to make the same "don't die" roll as his target every time he uses such an "attack." If that doesn't change his mind about this, well, you told him so when he gets himself killed!
Darling, why are you putting on that parachute and oxygen mask? We aren't on a plane, you big silly!

What? Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!

Of course, that won't work for space proper. But maybe 10 miles up...
Old 07-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanestomper View Post
But they brought up the possibility of then putting one end of the tunnel in space and the other end by someone they want to get rid of. Thus turning it into an efficient way of removing people from play.

I know what happens if you use an affliction warp, or a warp with exoteleport. But I'm not sure what happens with warp tunnels. Are there rules to handle this?
I recall someone trying to make a perpetuum mobile out of two (Magic magic) gates put in a way to produce an endless waterfall and tap into its energy, only to find out that gates don't cause matter to spontaneously go through it, merely allowing creatures to go through when they want to. I suspect the same should apply to Warp Tunnels.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
No reason that the Tunnel Enhancement obviates the resistance you'd get with an Affliction Warp.

A strict GM might require the attack form to be built as a separate ability, probably an AA with the main transportation power (since the attack forms are supposed to be Afflictions).
This is the strict "Buy the effect you want rather than buy a non-attack form and discover an unforeseen side-effect". AD&D magic was full of unforeseen side-effects as anyone who ever sank a ship with Wall of Iron would know.

There's no reason to have "unforeseen" side effects when you're working with Powers. Buy what you want, pay for what you get.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
Arcanestomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
The character in question routinely wears sealed battle armor. So getting warped into space isn't a huge problem for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I recall someone trying to make a perpetuum mobile out of two (Magic magic) gates put in a way to produce an endless waterfall and tap into its energy, only to find out that gates don't cause matter to spontaneously go through it, merely allowing creatures to go through when they want to. I suspect the same should apply to Warp Tunnels.
That sounds reasonable, but I don't see anything like that on the tunnel modifier itself. So it would be a hard sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
This is the strict "Buy the effect you want rather than buy a non-attack form and discover an unforeseen side-effect". AD&D magic was full of unforeseen side-effects as anyone who ever sank a ship with Wall of Iron would know.

There's no reason to have "unforeseen" side effects when you're working with Powers. Buy what you want, pay for what you get.
That was my first response actually. I'm just having trouble convincing the player that that is the proper course of action. So I was looking for an alternative either a rule reason why it's not possible. Or a way to make it possible.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanestomper View Post
The character in question routinely wears sealed battle armor. So getting warped into space isn't a huge problem for them.
And does this Warp have enough Can Carry to bring that armor along? If not, they're ending up in space without a suit.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
Arcanestomper

It's a tunnel warp with extra carrying capacity. My understanding is that those are limited only by the size of the portal and don't have a weight limit. If it had a weight limit then the original issue would be nullified as the tunnel wouldn't simply turn off before much air or water had gone through.