Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
RyanW

Default Re: Help me With a My little Pony Templates..and maybe some other help.

Pegasus flight is somewhere between Winged and Small Wings. They don't really suffer the problems of huge wings that really get in the way, but a crippled wing will ground them completely until healed. I might call it a -20% limitation.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #12
Zorian

On the Magery, a creature can be inherently magical and not have Magery.
Magery says you count as mage for some stuff , can sense magic vaguely and with training cast spells. I do not remember it being common for all ponies to sense magic.

If in the scope of setting has available anti magic (outside of a single enemies special power) you can put -10% or -5% depending on how common limitation of power source magic on anything that a no mana area or antimagic field would affect.

If no mana zones exist you could give them dependency mana.

If none of these apply you can just say they are inherently magic and the only mechanic on most is the cutie mark. Maybe give cutie mark powers the power source limit for a point break if it fits the theme.

On templants, I do not remember the subtypes being that extreme on stats. +3 is high for a racial templant.
Zorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #13
Nereidalbel

Pegasus ponies have Enhanced Move (Air). When the math was done, Rainbow Dash cruises at mach 5, and hits mach 10 when performing a Sonic Rainboom. Sure, others aren't quite that fast, but, they're not slow by any means.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #14
Cthugha

A few general thoughts.

Base ST may be as high as ST 18 (large pony in the Basic set) and probably as low as 7-8 for the smallest breeds. It may be reasonable to assign them ST 10 (since they are _little_ ponies, and to keep it simple) but you should keep in mind possibility of assigning them other ST values.

Assigning HT 11 will make them closer to real ponies and also explain (partly) increased heartiness

They are able to run pretty fast, not unlike real horses, so like real pony in the Basic all of them should have Enhanced Move 1(Ground).

Now to steal a few things from Bio-tech, which are suggested for uplifted animals:

Horizontal disadvantage will make many actions impossible. To carry things while moving, stand on their hind legs and use both to manipulate objects, ponies should probably have semi-upright.

While ponies definitely do not have No Fine Manipulators they may rate one or two levels of Bad Grip (it will make combat with weapons harder, but it may make things more interesting).

back to the general points

Many ponies have used their _tails_ to manipulate objects. It may be possible to explain this as a cartoon shenanigans... or to take it seriously and give them Extra Arm (Extra-flexible, Weak).

Attribute boni: I would advise to keep bonus to IQ and DX for unicorns and pegasi limited to +1. ST bonus for Earth ponies should of course at least +2, and possibly more.

Now about their powers.

I would advise to drop the Magery from all templates. But even if you keep it for unicorns, other two races definitely do not have it. They do not cast spells in the GURPS Magic skill-based fashion.

Earth ponies - it is unclear whether they have any unusual abilities aside from what their cutie mark is telling them. For me it seems that what they all have is increased ST and something or all from: Increased HP, Inreased FP, Increased HT, 1-4 levels of DR(Tough skin). Their supernatural powers are easier to describe as a perk.

Pegasi - I'd say their wings are usually small enough to consider them Small Wings. They have possibility of adding both Basic Move end Enhanced Move (Rainbow Dash, while very fast in general, doesn't seem to have significantly greater Basic Move than other top athletes - but she does have an extra level or two of Enhanced Move). While their ablilty to physically interact with clouds can be described as a perk, creating whirlwinds, producing lightning and rain is significantly more versatile - I would call it Control. I am not sure which kind of Control, but Control(Air) or Control(Weather) _without_ Natural Phenomena seems like possible candidates.

Unicorns - remember that I said to drop the Magery? I meant that for Unicorns as well. It does not look like they are casting spells in the GURPS Magic paradigm. They use their telekinesis constantly and do not become tired in minutes. It also looks like they are more limited by their aptitude (power level, so to speak), then by learning - not only Twilight, but many others are able to learn new spell in short amount of time; and if some feat is beyond reach of some unicorn it is more likely to stand out of that reach forever (barring Alicorn Amulets and such).

It is more reasonable to represent telekinesis as - well - Telekinesis advantage. It should have Cannot affect self (no self-levitation), Visible and possibly Cannot punch limitations; I am not sure about Cannot punch because of "force blasts" that many unicorns seem to use when situations calls for that - since it is used even by untrained unicorns it is easier to assume that this is a "punch" with telekinetic field and not Innate attack. Lowest possible level can be as low as TK 2 - strong enough to lift 3.2 pounds and therefore to manipulate everyday objects and tools. Twilight probably have no less than TK 50; but even low-powered unicorns may have additional enhancements - Increased Range and Area effect seems to be widespread but not ubiquitous.

Other unicorn magic I'd call Modular abilities (probably as AA to their TK, but I am not sure). I have not decided what kind exactly, but they are switchable even without a Concentrate, but are not full Cosmic - you have to research spells first, not whip something appropriate to the situation on a whim.

Last edited by Cthugha; 07-16-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Cthugha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #15
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Pegasi don't need a Disadvantage to compensate for their wings; Earth Ponies racially have extra points that randomly go towards ST, HT, Move, Speed, and talents related to geology, animal handling, or Green Thumb. The three tribes probably don't all come out on equal footing in purely gamist terms, and of course there's always a lot of room for individual variance (Fluttershy's Animal Friend level is extremely unusual for a Pegasus, Maud Pie is very strong even for an Earth Pony, etc).
Old 07-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #16
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post

I never saw that happen in the show. If specific magic can take them away but this power is inherent and most people can't use it, then anything you get from a cutie mark should get a -5% discount based on the off chance it gets disabled: if it's some sort of gadget that anyone could use, it's -10%. This is from Powers, btw: if you don't have the book, take my word for that bit.

It happened on the season 4 opening where one pony figured out a spell to rip cutie marks off ponies and store them some place. Preety much a lead a bit of a cult.

But yeah without there cutie marks the mane six basically lost all talents, Twilight could barely do magic beyond the basics, Applejack massive kicking strength was lessen, Rarity lost her ability to know if something was ahethically pleasing, and Fluttershy lost her animal empathy...basically ponies are really crippled without a cutie mark.

It was also tken in the a season finally where one villain took all of the magic of ponies., suggesting it is a magical thing...which was my justification for magery zero...I thought that meant you have magic within you just have no method to use it.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:44 PM   #17
Cthugha

Magery is the ability to cast spells. If some abilities may be suppressed (by anti-magic which will be useless against non-magical creature) you do not pay _extra_ points for Magery, you pay _less_ points for abilities (because cutie marks are not suppressed naturally, only by intentional use of abilities, the discount is 5%, so actual cost savings is negligible, but still you do not pay extra points to be more vulnerable than someone who did not pay extra).

And a small correction - villain was in S4 ending, pony who removed cutie marks was in S5 opening.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #18
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthugha View Post
Pegasi - I'd say their wings are usually small enough to consider them Small Wings
They really couldn't. The size of the wings probably splits the difference between regular and small wings, but despite the aerodynamic infeasibility pegasi do entirely rely on their wings for their flight. The consequences of being unable to use their wings match Flight (Winged), not Flight (Small Wings).

RyanW's suggestion that they might get -20% instead of -25% due to their very compact wingspan seems good to me though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disliker of the mary sue View Post
It was also tken in the a season finally where one villain took all of the magic of ponies., suggesting it is a magical thing...which was my justification for magery zero...I thought that meant you have magic within you just have no method to use it.
GURPS is effects based. Advantages and Disadvantages aren't there to represent things that don't have any effect. The effects of Magery 0 are clearly defined in the Basic Set and GURPS Magic, and don't remotely resemble containing magic you can't use. Magery 0 means you can sense magic (with a defined roll) and count as having Magery for a variety of purposes, such as casting spells without penalty in Normal mana.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:43 PM   #19
Disliker of the mary sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
GURPS is effects based. Advantages and Disadvantages aren't there to represent things that don't have any effect. The effects of Magery 0 are clearly defined in the Basic Set and GURPS Magic, and don't remotely resemble containing magic you can't use. Magery 0 means you can sense magic (with a defined roll) and count as having Magery for a variety of purposes, such as casting spells without penalty in Normal mana.
ah okay then, thank you you I am still very new with gurps. Never playing it before and having no local groups to play it with.
Disliker of the mary sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #20
Cthugha

Please excuse my unsolicited advice, but if that's the case I would recommend to play at least a couple of one-shots with human characters. It is easier to start with basics for players, but it' even more important for GM. If you remember how to GM human characters, then you can add a simple cheat sheet for all advantages and limitations inherent to the pony form; trying to learn basic rules (punch is thr-1 cr damage) at the same time as modificators (hooves add +1 to punch and kick damage) is will likely lead to mistakes. I'd recommend something where PC have (mostly) human body plan but have access to unusual powers - fantasy, supers, cyberpunk or SF with high biotech + safe-tech.

Tags
gurps, pony, template