Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #61
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 9: Summoners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
especially if he spent the extra 150 points on Allies.....
Wait, do NPCs pay for Allies? Was this ever FAQ'd?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #62
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
As long as they aren't allies of the PCs, I don't see why not.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #63
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yes they do, when appropriate.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #64
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
Not a big deal if HP and/or FP >10 and you're casting a spell which heals MUCH more HP than that (so the off-healer can patch you up later).
It's a used healing effect on the character, out of a limited number of uses per character per day.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:15 AM   #65
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Demonologist and necromancer are both class "bad guy occupations", so I see where you're coming from there. But it's possible for both to be decent folk -- I once played a very good necromancer who focused mainly on spirit spells. Anyway, even if they're kind of nasty in conception, there's nothing stopping one from having an evil party; heck, DF3 even went out of its way to create the Evil Cleric and Unholy Warrior.
Is it possible he's talking about the templates for summoned creatures, rather than the PC "class" templates? Some of those summoned creatures are built on a lot of points.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #66
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
It's a used healing effect on the character, out of a limited number of uses per character per day.
Yes, and? The off-healer should not waste her limited number of uses outside the direst circumstances, unlike the main healer. (That being said, I suspect Scholars are off-healers, not main healers, too.)
Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #67
Phil Masters

Quote:
Demonologist and necromancer are both class "bad guy occupations", so I see where you're coming from there. But it's possible for both to be decent folk -- I once played a very good necromancer who focused mainly on spirit spells.
Please also see the Customization Notes for each of the templates, which I deliberately designed to provide lots of ideas for (relatively) good-guy versions. A dungeon-bashing Rupert Giles can be built on the Demonologist template (unless he's actually a wounded dwarf with the mystical strength of a doily, of course), or Abraham Van Helsing could just about be a Necromancer.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:58 AM   #68
zorg
Experimental Subject

Concerning the Elementalist: Does anyone else suddenly have a nostalgic longing for the Rolemaster Elemental Companion? I feel tempted to dig it up and try to convert all those dozens of whacky elements...
Old 01-17-2010, 03:23 AM   #69
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg View Post
Concerning the Elementalist: Does anyone else suddenly have a nostalgic longing for the Rolemaster Elemental Companion? I feel tempted to dig it up and try to convert all those dozens of whacky elements...
No, but it does make me remember the tongue in cheek Cheese college complete with its own elemental and breath jalapeno queso for burning damage spell.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #70
b-dog

This is one of the best DF books so far. But of course I have one comment. If I were to have written the books I would have used Power Investiture for the Demonologist, Elementalist and Necromancer. The reason is because it would be more simple and straight forward. I would say that the person with the Power Investiture would be able to control the spiritual energies that control their sphere of influence. For example, the Demologist would control the spiritual energies that control demons so that in areas that were unholy or with a lot of evil going on then the demonologist would have bonuses to their castings while in places that are holy he/she would be at a disadvantage. For an elementalist the same would be true. Fire spells would be cast at a bonus in places with a lot of fire while at a penalty in places with a lot of water. The elementalist would control the spiritual engergies that control the elements. The necromancer would be at a bonus in casting spells near burial grounds or places of death while at a penalty in places of life. The necromancer would control the spiritual energies that control death.

Further I would have some option for stacking powers in the same spells are known with different power systems. For instance if a person knows Summon Demon using Magery and also with Power Investiture (Demon) then there should be a way to use both mana and the spiritual energies that control demons to make an even stronger spell. Maybe even Power Investiture (Unholy) could add unholy divine energy to help boost the spell Summon Demon even more.

My two cents...
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, dungeon fantasy, gurpsland