Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2016, 10:18 AM   #31
GodBeastX

Default Re: RPG Jutsu - GURPS Content for Ninjas

Dark Fantasy - The Horrific End of Heroes

Many players and GMs enjoy the dark fantasy genre. Others have no idea how to go about creating a dark fantasy environment, let alone GMing within it.

This article gives advice, guidelines and a few simple rules to enable for playing in a dark fantasy world. It also examines why someone might enjoy dark fantasy.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #32
Wavefunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post

Many players and GMs enjoy the dark fantasy genre. Others have no idea how to go about creating a dark fantasy environment, let alone GMing within it.

This article gives advice, guidelines and a few simple rules to enable for playing in a dark fantasy world. It also examines why someone might enjoy dark fantasy.

An interesting read. My current main campaign is a Dark Fantasy game, so it held particular value for me.

However, I'd say you're missing something incredibly important. Light and shade. It's a bad idea to make everything bad all the time, have everyone hate the PCs, etc, etc. That's what they come to expect, it loses the horror, the sense of danger or darkness. You need moments of happiness, success, and people who like or even love the PCs that they can like or love in return, for the sake of contrast. So that just when they're at their happiest you can tear their hopes apart, scatter their dreams like ashes, slaughter everyone they hold dear, then resurrect them as hideous monsters bent to the will of some foul being and send them to kill the PCs.

That's my view anyway...
Wavefunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #33
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
An interesting read. My current main campaign is a Dark Fantasy game, so it held particular value for me.

However, I'd say you're missing something incredibly important. Light and shade. It's a bad idea to make everything bad all the time, have everyone hate the PCs, etc, etc. That's what they come to expect, it loses the horror, the sense of danger or darkness. You need moments of happiness, success, and people who like or even love the PCs that they can like or love in return, for the sake of contrast. So that just when they're at their happiest you can tear their hopes apart, scatter their dreams like ashes, slaughter everyone they hold dear, then resurrect them as hideous monsters bent to the will of some foul being and send them to kill the PCs.

That's my view anyway...
Not a bad thought, I can clarify that.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #34
GodBeastX

It's how it tends to go when I'm writing. I take a few hours to put the post together, gather ideas, silly pictures that amuse me, and sometimes things slip through or a simple idea might not be clear.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #35
GodBeastX

Sorry for lack of updates. I caught the plague over the week which set me back. Previously I've been hammering away in the lab writing up some things and programming up some VERY awesome things. This has been sucking my eyes away from blog posting for a bit. I'll get back in the swing of things soon enough!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #36
Humabout

Quote:
Sorry for lack of updates. I caught the plague over the week which set me back. Previously I've been hammering away in the lab writing up some things and programming up some VERY awesome things. This has been sucking my eyes away from blog posting for a bit. I'll get back in the swing of things soon enough!
Hey, quality over quantity any day. Hope you feel better soon. I'm looking forward to your next update whenever it happens.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #37
GodBeastX

Combo - The Killer Instinct in Abilities

It's been some time since I posted due to real life obligations and limited time.

Many of us are well used to the ability list when making decisions during combat. However, some abilities are better served as a combination of advantages, as a tree of abilities, or even a chain of events.

Todays article touches on chaining abilities together to craft the ultimate combo.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #38
Mailanka

Hey, welcome back.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #39
GodBeastX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Hey, welcome back.
Thanks =) I pulled my face out of boot kernels and hard drive sectors for a post, heheh.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #40
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:

It's been some time since I posted due to real life obligations and limited time.

Many of us are well used to the ability list when making decisions during combat. However, some abilities are better served as a combination of advantages, as a tree of abilities, or even a chain of events.

Todays article touches on chaining abilities together to craft the ultimate combo.

Nooiiiceeeeeee.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blogs