Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
lexington

Default Re: [Basic] RoF and Random Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
By that logic, if you can't realistically hit a -7 Skull like that, you can't realistically hit a person at -7 distance like that either. If so, RoF becomes more useless than in WoD.
What? The results of firing a burst aren't an issue of accuracy, they're an issue of recoil. The gun moves and so do the shootist. I've never head of people putting an MP5 of fullauto and putting thirty rounds through a target's head in one burst.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
What? The results of firing a burst aren't an issue of accuracy, they're an issue of recoil. The gun moves and so do the shootist. I've never head of people putting an MP5 of fullauto and putting thirty rounds through a target's head in one burst.
Yes, but if the gun moves too much to hit a small target, it also moves too much to hit a bigger, more distant target.

Of course, you've probably not heard much of people putting an MP5 on full-auto and putting a 30 round burst through someone's chest at 100+ feet either.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
The whole point of having the Rcl stat is measuring how well a person can compensate for recoil in order to put more bullets out of a burst onto a given target. You probably never heard of people with Guns (SMG) 35.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Yes, but if the gun moves too much to hit a small target, it also moves too much to hit a bigger, more distant target.

Of course, you've probably not heard much of people putting an MP5 on full-auto and putting a 30 round burst through someone's chest at 100+ feet either.
I don't see how the rules create a problem with this. The same would apply to the torso, yes, and the rules seem to do a decent job of simulating that. Fire a burst at 100 feet and a few rounds hit rather than all of them and probably not all in the same location. Try to fire a burst at a person's head and you'll hit with a few rounds rather than all of them.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #15
lexington

Quote:
The whole point of having the Rcl stat is measuring how well a person can compensate for recoil in order to put more bullets out of a burst onto a given target. You probably never heard of people with Guns (SMG) 35.
The Rcl stat doesn't measure anything about the shooter, their skill level is what contain information about their ability to compensate for the recoil. If anything Rcl is how hard it is to compensate.

Once a person has Guns (SMG)-35 they can put the whole burst on target, sure that's what superhuman skill is supposed to get you.

I feel like I'm missing something that you're trying to make a point about. Can you come at it from another angle for me?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
The Rcl stat doesn't measure anything about the shooter, their skill level is what contain information about their ability to compensate for the recoil. If anything Rcl is how hard it is to compensate.
Well of course it needs to interact with the skill level and dice roll. My point is that having Rcl affect the outcome is the way to compare this phenomenon between guns too. A gun which has Rcl 7 is much harder to compensate for even with Guns-35.

Quote:
Once a person has Guns (SMG)-35 they can put the whole burst on target, sure that's what superhuman skill is supposed to get you.

I feel like I'm missing something that you're trying to make a point about. Can you come at it from another angle for me?
My point is that hitting with multiple shots is a matter of how Skill and Rcl interact. Guns = DX-5 people do not put full bursts on-target at 100 yards, so no need to worry about them.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
lexington

Quote:
Well of course it needs to interact with the skill level and dice roll. My point is that having Rcl affect the outcome is the way to compare this phenomenon between guns too. A gun which has Rcl 7 is much harder to compensate for even with Guns-35.

My point is that hitting with multiple shots is a matter of how Skill and Rcl interact. Guns = DX-5 people do not put full bursts on-target at 100 yards, so no need to worry about them.
I'm not sure what I said that contradicted any of this?

The "gun in a vice" comment was in reference to realistic circumstances.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
I'm not sure what I said that contradicted any of this?

The "gun in a vice" comment was in reference to realistic circumstances.
High skill is realistic. It's just not very human.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #19
lexington

Quote:
High skill is realistic. It's just not very human.
lol, to be honest I feel like I said "people can't shoot fire from their hands" and you said "what about wizards?". I'm not really sure how to respond.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #20
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I don't see how the rules create a problem with this. The same would apply to the torso, yes, and the rules seem to do a decent job of simulating that. Fire a burst at 100 feet and a few rounds hit rather than all of them and probably not all in the same location. Try to fire a burst at a person's head and you'll hit with a few rounds rather than all of them.
You asserted that most guns can't "realistically be fired to get multiple hits on a location smaller than the torso".

But the absolute size of the target is irrelevant, and scoring multiple hits on a man-sized target at 100 feet is entirely achievable, so...

The rules don't create a problem, but they don't agree with your assertion.

Tags
basic set, hit location, ranged combat