Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
kdarc

Default [LT] Some armor issues and questions

So I'm making some sets of armor typical of my fantasy setting and have I'm trying to keep it plausible (somewhat, anyway.. ;) ). But my knowledge of armor is not very good. So I have some questions that I hope the forumites can help me with.

1) Scale armor seems extremely vague. Is it leather scales, iron scales or cloth? Is it true scale armor or meant to represent lamellar armor? If so, is it iron or leather lamellar?

2) Padding on chain mails. HOW common is it? I can imagine it when wearing only a chainmail over, but when adding plate or other armor, the DX penalty rises to -2, which is quite a lot. So what are your views on this?

I might have gotten some stuff wrong, but hey, someone will probably whack for that and correct me, thereby giving me more knowledge and getting me one step closer to world domination, heheh..

Okay, forget the last part. But any thoughts on these? Thanks in advance!
kdarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Novembermike

Default Re: [LT] Some armor issues and questions

1) There should be rules for different materials.

2) Padding is just clothes that go underneath and keep the armor from chafing. I don't think there's a mechanical penalty for this.
Novembermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
kdarc

Well, i found clarification for the padded mail thing, LT 107. But scale/lamellar is only defined as light, medium, or heavy as far as I can see. Might have missed something in another part of the book...
Old 05-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarc View Post
1) Scale armor seems extremely vague. Is it leather scales, iron scales or cloth? Is it true scale armor or meant to represent lamellar armor? If so, is it iron or leather lamellar?
Given that it's listed under Metallic Armor my guess is that it's made from metal. (p.106)
Old 05-12-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
kdarc

You're absolutely right. That's what I get for not double-checking the books I discuss I guess...
But then, what about leather and cloth scale/lamellar? I guess you could simulate it with layered leather?
Old 05-12-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
You're absolutely right. That's what I get for not double-checking the books I discuss I guess...
But then, what about leather and cloth scale/lamellar? I guess you could simulate it with layered leather?
That's what it says to do in the book.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
kdarc

Aah, yup, found it. Man, I apparently suck at reading stuff, since I missed all that. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #8
DanHoward

Quote:
p.106-107 explains the difference between scale and lamellar but the book uses the same stats for both.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 AM   #9
Dustin

Is there any cost difference between bronze and iron scale? I've been handwaving it as half cost for iron, on the theory that, although bronze is 4x as expensive as iron, the construction methods for scale and lamellar are fairly labor-intensive, and may include other materials (like a leather or fabric backing for scale).
Old 05-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
Anders

All metal armor costs +3 CF if made from bronze.