Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Mythalinear

Default GURPS rules for constructing items?

Greetings all,

I recently discovered the GURPS system and have fallen in love with it. I plan to use this system in my next campaign and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if there was a system for constructing items.

Basically I want to give lots of spare time in between adventures for the players to command their followers to go out into the world and collect resources for them (think Sid Meier's Civilization) and then they use said resources to build their base, everything from beds and shelves to massive telescopes and clockwork golems.

If such a system does not exist then my thought was to create my own system using [Size] as well as [Complexity] in order to figure out the cost of resources, time, and difficulty to create.

Any thoughts or feedback would be very much appreciated.

Mythalinear
Mythalinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: GURPS rules for constructing items?

Moved to GURPS Forum, where you are more likely to get answers.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
starslayer

you could potentially use the 200hours = 1CP = 25 enchantment points conversions.

Basically have every 200 hours of 'work' that the allies do translate to either 1CP in a gadget (magnified vision in a telescope) or 25 energy in an enchanted item (like a golem).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
SuedodeuS

Low Tech Companion 3 has rules for making things, as well as information finding/gathering resources (via hunting, farming, mining, etc). It's intended for use before TL 5 (the Industrial Revolution), but a lot of it can be adapted for use after that.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
munin

GURPS provides cost and weights for all listed items. Low-Tech Companion 3 explains how to use those to determine time and resources required for crafting items, but it's possible to do it without LTC3. I wrote up examples of both methods here, to give you an idea of what's involved.
munin is online now   Reply With Quote