Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2018, 08:47 AM   #51
Tomsdad

Default Re: Companies Finance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I dont have any in mind, I need a system to calculate it over the course of 28 years, which is related to some kind of abilities or skills such as Finance, Reputation, Equipment, starting Wealth, etc. :S

The problem is while some of these things might be relevant to the turnover of the company you own or ran, there are lots, and lots of things outside that list that would effect it. And to be frank once you start getting into figures your talking about the range of things that effect it only gets larger and start to include stuff like "central bank monetary policy designed with you in mind" and "questions in parliament".

Quote:
*Problem is that as is by Social Engineering a skill of 22 would be able to raise monthly income x100,000 (counting only on current income it would take over eight milleniums to pay that)
What Can I tell you persuasive people have always managed to get finance ;-)

Again because raising finance on personal monthly income and a company raising loans of $800bn are in the vast majority of possible cases not the remotely connected to each other. And the tiny number of scenarios were they are, are basiily so extreme as to be by there very nature exceptional and pretty much impossible to realistically model.

So yeah take an arbitrary large figure and x it by an arbitrary large number of success on an arbitrary high finance skill, and add some complementary skill MoS and bonuses where you think they are appropriate in order to add a zero or two.

Ultimately what is your goal here? Are you trying to create a monster international company as background for your game, or are you trying to create a realistic multinational monster corp simulator?

Am I right in thinking that your best of all humans, hothoused from birth NPC from the recent thread is involved?

EDIT: or tl;dr what Whswhs said!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 01-19-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #52
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
The problem is while some of these things might be relevant to the turnover company you owned or ran, there are lots, and lots of things outside that list that would effect it. And to be frank once you start getting into figures your talking about the range of things that effect it only get larger and start to include stuff like "central bank monetary policy designed with you in mind" and "questions in parliament".

What Can I tell you persuasive people have always managed to get finance ;-)

Again because raising finance on personal monthly income and a company raising loans of $800bn are in the vast majority of possible cases not the remotely connected to each other. And the tiny number of scenarios were they are, are basiily so extreme as to be by there very nature exceptional and pretty much impossible to realistically model.

So yeah take an arbitrary large figure and x it by an arbitrary large number of success on an arbitrary high finance skill, and add some complementary skill MoS and bonuses where you think they are appropriate in order to add a zero or two.

Ultimately what is your goal here? Are you trying to create a monster international company as background for your game, or are you trying to create a realistic multinational monster corp simulator?

Am I right in thinking that your best of all humans, hothoused from birth NPC from the recent thread is involved?

EDIT: or tl;dr what Whswhs said!
I am trying to "create a realistic multinational monster corp simulator" so everybody can use it with the same rules :)
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #53
whswhs

Quote:
I am trying to "create a realistic multinational monster corp simulator" so everybody can use it with the same rules :)
There are, however, two steps in that. The first is to figure out what (more or less) real world traits the corporation has. The second is to figure out how to represent them in GURPS terms so players can interact with it.

The rules in B&C cover the second part quite well for gaming purposes. But they don't cover the first part and aren't intended to. If you try to use them, or anything based on them, for that purpose, you're not going to get reasonable results.

If you want to do the first part, you have to come up with your own simulation of how large corporations operate. Using a variant of GURPS mechanics to do it is optional.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 PM   #54
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
There are, however, two steps in that. The first is to figure out what (more or less) real world traits the corporation has. The second is to figure out how to represent them in GURPS terms so players can interact with it.

The rules in B&C cover the second part quite well for gaming purposes. But they don't cover the first part and aren't intended to. If you try to use them, or anything based on them, for that purpose, you're not going to get reasonable results.

If you want to do the first part, you have to come up with your own simulation of how large corporations operate. Using a variant of GURPS mechanics to do it is optional.
Okey, I developed a new formula. I need to upgrade it, but it allows to introduce new variables and linearly increase the difficulty according to the size of the company by Speed/Range in Campaign, while including the rules as presented in Social Engineering and Boardroom and Curia.

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-19-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #55
Alonsua
Banned

If anybody can or want to help, here is "the thing" as I have already written it:

Letīs start:

Considerations:

1. By Spaceships a downpayment of about 10% is needed to appropriately get a loan, so I limit it to x9 of the current Equity, and the rates vary among 8-16% a year.
2. By Boardroom and Curia I can get an average "resource value", which I would interpret as Net Income using percentages here over the Total Assets, of:
"((Finance-10)*0.05+1)*0.06"
3. Houserule for interest rates: you start at 12% and move with a quick contest of your Finance vs whoever you want to borrow money from, down to a minimum of 8%.
4. For yearly payments (in this exercise we will consider that I pay you once a year) we will be using the following formula:
"Money Borrowed*((Interest Rate*(1+Interest Rate)^Time I take to fully pay you back)/((1+Interest Rate)^Time I take to fully pay you back-1))"
5. For calculating Total Assets at the end of a given year, starting from the immediately previous one, I use the following formula (where RV is the Resource Value previously calculated and Management will be explained at the sixth point):
"((Total Assets)*(1+(RV/12)*(1-((Current Assets)/"Management")))^12-Yearly Payments"
6. "Management" is determined by taking the Skill (Either Administration or Finance, I have not decided it yet) and, after using any appropiate modifiers, looking at the Speed/Range Table and applying a factor equal to the Wealth Modifier of the company, so x20 for a Very Wealthy one, x2 for a Comfortable one, etc.

What do you think? So far I can simulate companies like Apple and Microsoft (I have not tried more) by giving them a skill value of 21 plus modifiers. Have you got any ideas as how to improve this thing without much difficulty?