Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #51
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Did I price this world-ending affliction properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Is there any particular reason why you are telling me this, and not also calling out the other posters in this thread who also may have been taking liberties with the rules in your opinion?
I've already done most of them before, and your build had far and away the most interesting flaws. Some of them turned out to be my mistaken interpretation, of course; on those I sit corrected.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #52
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
I've already done most of them before, and your build had far and away the most interesting flaws. Some of them turned out to be my mistaken interpretation, of course; on those I sit corrected.
Good enough. I was just curious.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 AM   #53
Sunrunners_Fire

A more serious build:
  • Affliction 1, "Extinction Event" (HT) [390]
    • Affects Insubstantial, +20%
    • Area Effect 57, +2850% *
    • Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300% **
    • Disadvantage: Terminally Ill (One Second), +225% ***
    • Extended Duration: Permanent, +300%
    • Fixed Duration, +0%
    • No Signature, +25%
    • Persistent, +40%
    • Wall: Permeable (Any Shape Desired), +60%
    • Emanation, -20%
  • * Earth's Volume, including 120 km of atmosphere, is 1 503 425 370 556 748 529 664 cubic yards. (Wall: Permeable) provides 3 cubic yards per Area Effect's yard of radius. This gives us a desired Area Effect radius of 2.84739653514536E17 miles.
  • ** Add (Cosmic: Ignores Cover, +50% to +300%) if the GM rules that (Cosmic: Irresistible Attack, +300%) is insufficient to achieve the effect. [up to +30]
  • *** Terminally Ill (One Week) [-125], (One Day) [-150], (One Hour) [-175], (One Minute) [-200], (One Second) [-225]. Use Terminally Ill (One Month) (Reduced Duration 22, +440%) [-540] if you disagree with the progression I've assumed. [+32]

Did I miss anything?
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #54
SuedodeuS

Assuming Terminal Illness (1 second) is legitimate, you really don't need Permanent for the duration. Of course, this Disadvantage shouldn't be legit - it is more effective yet costs less than Heart Attack.

Actually, considering the number of people with Physician, and the fact it takes 1 minute to attempt resuscitation, rebuilding that Affliction with Heart Attack instead of Terminal Illness + Extended Duration would probably be more effective. You may need some sort of Enhancement to target microscopic life. That, or afflict Lifebane (which will kill all microscopic and plant life near any legitimate target) and have Heart Attack as a Secondary effect.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #55
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
Assuming Terminal Illness (1 second) is legitimate, you really don't need Permanent for the duration. Of course, this Disadvantage shouldn't be legit - it is more effective yet costs less than Heart Attack.
So we use the [-540] version instead, thereby adding [+33] to the Affliction's price.

Quote:
Actually, considering the number of people with Physician, and the fact it takes 1 minute to attempt resuscitation, rebuilding that Affliction with Heart Attack instead of Terminal Illness + Extended Duration would probably be more effective. You may need some sort of Enhancement to target microscopic life. That, or afflict Lifebane (which will kill all microscopic and plant life near any legitimate target) and have Heart Attack as a Secondary effect.
Heart Attack has the problem in that it requires the target to have a heart and/or circulatory system; and given that we want to extinguish all life on the planet, we can't assume that Heart Attack would function on deep-earth bacteria and viruses and such.

Extended Duration: Permanent is probably not required, true. I was traiting for redundancy rather than efficiency. (See (Affects Insubstantial), (Fixed Duration) and (Persistent) as further examples of my doing this.)
Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #56
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Heart Attack has the problem in that it requires the target to have a heart and/or circulatory system; and given that we want to extinguish all life on the planet, we can't assume that Heart Attack would function on deep-earth bacteria and viruses and such.
Let me point out this post to you, which seems as if it might be relevant.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #57
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuedodeuS View Post
Meh. Outright killing with innate attack is usually cheaper than either one. If you're firing off an attack every second, any Cosmic (ignores defenses) attack will kill stuff plenty fast. I recommend Burning with Radiation.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #58
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Remember, Aura is better than emanation, in that you don't need to switch it on and off to get it to pulse. Personally, I like afflicting Ecstasy: Not only it is completely incapacitating, and costs FP and then HP, but High Pain Threshold doesn't protect (unlike Agony).
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #59
Anders

How about an affliction that turns people into Scotsmen?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #60
David Johnston2

Quote:
A more serious build:
[*]Disadvantage: Terminally Ill (One Second), +225% ***

Not legitimate.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
affliction, apocalypse