Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Clarification on Signature Gear

I've been building some Monster Hunters characters for fun, and I noticed that in the Monster Hunters book, it says Signature Gear can only buy a maximum of one item (or closely related group of items) per point, fewer if it costs more than $10000. This is only a rule in Monster Hunters, right? I've always treated SG as a fungible pool of money.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Clarification on Signature Gear

The pool of money is how it works in Basic. Monster Hunters has a variant rule.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #3
Donny Brook

It's not a quite fungible pool of money in Basic, it's "as much a part of your personal legend as are your reputation and skills" and "You must explain where it came from".
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #4
aesir23

I've always treated Signature Gear as a separate advantage for every "piece" of gear.

The pseudo-exception would be "pieces" that are more than one thing (FREX: a suit of clothes, a library, a set of thieves tools, etc...) but are nevertheless a single equipment entry on the character sheet.

But reading over the description in Basic, I now see that it's definitely written to allow for multiple separate pieces of gear:

"You have distinctive, valuable possessions unrelated to your wealth level. [...] Signature Gear gives goods worth up to 50% of the average campaign starting wealth [...]"

To get a little grammer nerdy on you: When not using the collective noun "gear" the book uses plural nouns. When they use the singular pronoun "it," it's always in reference to the collective noun "gear."
So my old interpretation is clearly wrong (though definitely the rule for MH).

That said, I do think that as a GM I'd require each instance of Signature Gear to be, at the very least, "thematically linked." E.g. "my uniform, firearm, and survival gear from my time in the service."
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #5
Balor Patch

In DFRPG it's a simple perk that "insures" an item against the vagaries of adventuring. I like that approach better and might like it for Ally as well.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
In DFRPG it's a simple perk that "insures" an item against the vagaries of adventuring. I like that approach better and might like it for Ally as well.
This variant came out of AtE and I agree, I prefer this version as well.

Tags
signature gear