Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-21-2019, 10:03 PM   #21
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Noršlond questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
That's true, and I did something similar for TFT. If folks want something that's on heavy card-stock that's basically the old CH model (cut 'em, fold 'em, stick 'em in a base yourself) I can probably do that quite easily.
YAY!

Quote:
If we want the new die-cut cardboard models that are basically 1" x 2" standees (that you still have to provide the base for yourself, but SJG does sell bases), I can still do that . . . but it's going to be VERY expensive unless a whole lot of folks want them and I can arrange a special run. And even then, it's a new supply chain for me if I feel that no one can afford them unless I do a custom large scale run.
NAY!

Personally, I'm even happy with pdfs of that sort of thing... since... well... I've bought all your stuff (der GURPS Nordie stuff) in pdf anyway. So adding "print 'em" to "cut 'em, fold 'em, stick 'em in a base yourself" is trivial for me.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #22
Magic_Octopus

I have a Holy Warrior of the Lady of Life in my game, and he has Fanaticism.

Would anyone have any tips on how this would manifest? What would he be fanatical about? Healing?
Magic_Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:27 AM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus View Post
I have a Holy Warrior of the Lady of Life in my game, and he has Fanaticism.
I'm not sure Fanaticism should be allowed on a devotee of the Lady of Life... but I leave that for the big boss...

For now...
Quote:
Would anyone have any tips on how this would manifest? What would he be fanatical about? Healing?
Well let's take a look at her 'tenets':

Renewal, healing, youth, springtime, preservation.

Her followers are described as the least warlike.

So to me, this paints the picture of a Fanatic devotee seeking the non-violent path first. Healing even enemies if they are ones who can be converted to friends, or at least "not enemies today". Making peace, rather than seeking to crush a foe. Renewal suggest they prefer to build up, not tear down - unless the old edifice has a purely bad foundation, but even then they will be there for the rebuild.

In my opinion Fanatic is a bad fit for Lady of Life on a stereotypical DF adventurer. Now, on a heroic fantasy character, who is roused to duty to go off with a band of adventures and try to keep them mostly out of trouble? That's a bit different.

Note that, 'allowing that the group sometimes has to get into combat to achieve the goal of defeating the evil' is very different than "kick in the door, kill the orc, take the pie'.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #24
Balor Patch

I think Fanaticism is the disadvantage of loyalty to an organization. A fanatic priest in Noršlond will know that the will of the gods is known to their superiors and will follow their guidance without question.

A fanatic of a specific Aesir is an interesting question because my understanding is that there are no separate hierarchies for individual gods.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:03 AM   #25
Magic_Octopus

Thanks guys, you have given me food for thought. I had a discussion with the player, and we both agreed that Fanaticism is difficult to pull of with that deity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I'm not sure Fanaticism should be allowed on a devotee of the Lady of Life... but I leave that for the big boss...

For now...

Well let's take a look at her 'tenets':

Renewal, healing, youth, springtime, preservation.

Her followers are described as the least warlike.

So to me, this paints the picture of a Fanatic devotee seeking the non-violent path first. Healing even enemies if they are ones who can be converted to friends, or at least "not enemies today". Making peace, rather than seeking to crush a foe. Renewal suggest they prefer to build up, not tear down - unless the old edifice has a purely bad foundation, but even then they will be there for the rebuild.
I think you are right, and it is likely that we'll figure out another disadvantage or a way to deal with those 15 points. Using it with Lady of Life would pretty much force the player and likely the whole group to discard a lot of the DF mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
I think Fanaticism is the disadvantage of loyalty to an organization. A fanatic priest in Noršlond will know that the will of the gods is known to their superiors and will follow their guidance without question.

A fanatic of a specific Aesir is an interesting question because my understanding is that there are no separate hierarchies for individual gods.
This is a very handy way of looking at it. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #26
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
I think Fanaticism is the disadvantage of loyalty to an organization.
Yes... and:

"You obey its behavior codes and leaders willingly and unquestioningly."
(bolding mine)

Behavior codes means if the Fanatic devotee of LoL has Charitable, Compulsive Generosity, Pacifism*, Sense of Duty, or Selfless, they should never be making Self Control rolls, they should be going along with these disads at every opportunity!

Likewise, Fanatic devotees should never have Bloodlust, Bully, or Intolerance, unless it's a Racial problem (or curse, or whatever good reason), in which case the Fanatic devotee would work hard to suppress that nature.

Now this doesn't mean that a Fanatic devotee should be automatically played as though they have Charitable, Compulsive Generosity, Pacifism*, Sense of Duty, or Selfless, however, leaning hard in that direction from an rp perspective is probably a good idea.

So while I suggest that a Fanatic of LoL would not "kick in the door, kill the orc, and steal it's pie" as their first course of action... if the orc is a well-known unredeemable murderer, well, then, yes certainly go all Orc and Pie on the situation.

And that's how to handle a Fanatic of a peaceful, charitable deity in DFRPG. Just make sure that when presented with a narrow set of options, those options will either a) fit within the Fanatic's wheelhouse of actions, b) be okay due to constraints or circumstance (killing monsters), or c) at least present a meaningful moment of drama for the Fanatic as they question the worthiness of the mission and try to argue for a return to the 'righteous' path.

* Yes, I know Pacifism is missing from DFRPG. However, it does make for a decent addition to NPCs. Like when the Fanatic's party has to safeguard the travels of the ancient Priest of the Lady of Life, a Priest who has set aside all hatred and angry action and thus is triply blessed...
Old 02-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #27
Magic_Octopus

On the Nordlond map key both the white and black circle are identified as a "City of 5000-20000". The map key also says, that villages with less than 1500 inhabitants are not shown. I guess the black circle is supposed to be 1500-5000 inhabitants?

If I read the map correctly, Skógurenda is roughly 25 miles from Akkerisborg, so a days travel in non-ideal terrain, correct?
Old 02-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #28
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic_Octopus View Post
On the Nordlond map key both the white and black circle are identified as a "City of 5000-20000". The map key also says, that villages with less than 1500 inhabitants are not shown. I guess the black circle is supposed to be 1500-5000 inhabitants?

If I read the map correctly, Skógurenda is roughly 25 miles from Akkerisborg, so a days travel in non-ideal terrain, correct?
So, two things.

1. That was an error, fixed in later versions. You're correct about the black circles; they're towns of 1500-5000.

2. Much to my horror, the Nordlond map has a mistake in the scale. Double all of the distances. I'm going to correct this before the full versions see print, as well as on the 12x18" PDF and future print copies. It's supposed to be about 100 miles from Jįrngardr to Rosgarth.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:30 PM   #29
xlyce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Yes. Add to the wealth roll a second 2d-7
I just finished writing this exact question as an email to you before I searched here.

Here is a follow up question...

WEALTH Roll (WeRoll) is 2d-7 (5 max) mods of -1 to +3 (4-8).
  • +2 for having a river or large lake.
  • +1 if an established road or trade route passes through it (also use the next-highest line on the Hospitality subtable when determining infrastructure).
  • -1 if the settlement is considered a “borderland” town: if a day’s travel brings you to hostile territory (untamed wilderness, the Dragongrounds, anywhere in the Hunted Lands, etc.), it’s a borderland.”

INFRASTRUCTURE Roll (InRoll) 2d-7 (5 max) mods of 0-4 (5-9).
Modify the Infrastructure roll as follows:
  • +2 to the Infrastructure roll if a Forest village
  • +2 to the effective roll for Hospitality if on a Road
  • +2 to the effective roll for Defensive infrastructure if a borderland village
  • +2 to the effective roll for Economic infrastructure if an orchard is present

Since the table shows 18+ should we be adding the 3d-3 to this roll as well?
xlyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noršlond, nordvörn