Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-27-2020, 09:30 AM   #1
Kallatari

Default Do songs generate disturbance throughout their duration?

First, just wanted to say that I'm using GURPS In Nomine (for a character in an ISWAT campaign) in case it makes a difference.

The character in question has the Numinous Corpus song for wings (GURPS In Nomine p.164-165).

I know when they perform the song, the song generates disturbance according to a) how much Essence is used to power the song, and b) any addition disturbance according to the specific song. So with the Wings Numinous Corpus, that's 1 Essence, no additional disturbance, and it lasts margin of success hours. This tells me it makes a minor disturbance when first performed, but then for the next few hours the character can turn her wings on and off at will, and doing so will NOT make any additional disturbance. Is that correct?

As a side question, what if the song in question did have an additional disturbance modifier. Would that be heard throughout, or just when it is first performed?

Is there any way to detect ongoing song effects if they do not generate disturbance while in effect? e.g., in a typical fantasy campaign a mage can detect any active spell with a detect magic spell or innate magesight, so is there something equivalent in In Nomine?
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
nuulak

Default Re: Do songs generate disturbance throughout their duration?

My experience is with the Original Versions of In Nomine.
I have always interpreted the Rules for Disturbance was at the expenditure of essence, not the continued effects of the Song.
I internalize it as the first note has changed the Symphony, Essence allows the Celestial to accomplish this.

I will have to reference my books when I get home and let you know if there is anything else I can add.
nuulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
Kallatari

Well, that's how I seem to interpret it as well, so thanks for confirming I was reading it correctly.
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
nuulak

depending on time when you are placing the game, before or after cellular devices, it would be pretty quick for people to know where a celestial is at once they do spread their wings and fly. That would be posted all over every social media near and far.

I did find it interesting in some of the games that I played, the PC's were trying hard to stay under the radar while searching for a demon. What they finally realized is that after talking to them 3 or 4 times that they were the demon that they were hunting. Unless a celestial uses a song or changes form, it is quite difficult to tell them from normal humanity.
nuulak is offline   Reply With Quote