Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
synistar

Default Gear crafting system using exotic materials?

Looking to setup a crafting system where you use bits from hunted (and defeated) monsters to create special gear.

Any suggestions on systems already written up (Pyramid articles or supplements) or on how to create such a system from scratch (maybe imbuements?).

Setting will be weird science prehistoric. Technology is stunted except for such special crafted gear. A economics revolve around harvesting "the good stuff" from giant monsters (and supplementary agrarian settlements - but they are not too efficient). Bronze tools are rare. Most tech is stone and bone and special monster materials.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
Railstar

Default Re: Gear crafting system using exotic materials?

Pyramid 3/66 Laws of Magic - Material Difference covers this. I'm not sure how well it covers it, but it seems in line with what you are looking for.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Bicorn

I don't think Imbuements really help there. They're for applying effects to your attacks, not for making equipment.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:30 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I don't think you need a terribly complicated system. I'd start with the weapons and armor from low tech, and then give each monster material a set of modifiers. Page 275 of basic describes how to apply various materials to a standard weapon entry. Page 71 of low tech expands that to more materials, and 23 of Fantasy describes Orichalcum.

You can apply the types of descriptions given in those sections to all sorts of substances. If you run short of inspiration or want something special, check out the enchantment college.

You can also rule that certain monsters have parts that translate to specific weapons that are otherwise high TL.

I'd apply a cost factor for each of the materials used, and just multiply the weapon cost by that amount. I'd also award monster material in dollar amounts, and use the traditional crafting rules to determine how much of the material a weapon or defense uses up (I can't remember where those rules are). Some large items may be all or nothing affairs: you may build one item costing up to X.

I hope that helps. Remember that Gurps is not balanced for tech to start with, so an emergent balance will work fine.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:06 AM   #5
synistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
I don't think Imbuements really help there. They're for applying effects to your attacks, not for making equipment.
I was thinking of using the list of descriptions for Imbuement effects but changing how you obtain them. Basically, just warping it into a somewhat different system.

Still thinking about different approaches we can take.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #6
Varyon

I'd be strongly tempted to steal from the crafting in After the End, actually, perhaps mixing in some of the guidelines on harvesting monster bits from Dungeon Fantasy. After all, if I were running Horizon: Zero Dawn in GURPS, I'd be taking from there, and this is basically that but with monsters instead of robots (which is kind of full-circle, since as I understand it H:ZD is arguably Monster Hunter with robots instead of monsters).
Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 AM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by synistar View Post
I was thinking of using the list of descriptions for Imbuement effects but changing how you obtain them. Basically, just warping it into a somewhat different system.
So something along the lines of "Malng a weapon or armor out of some fantastical monster bit gives the Wielder an Imbuement skill at some level" (like say 15).
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:18 AM   #8
synistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
So something along the lines of "Malng a weapon or armor out of some fantastical monster bit gives the Wielder an Imbuement skill at some level" (like say 15).
Something along those lines. But after talking it over with the GM we are going to do it more simply. Defeating monsters will reward the group with CP to be used just for creating gear. Gear will be written up as advantages with the gadget limitation. However, the gear will be written up as packages of Advantages with the gadget limitation (this was an approach mentioned in Imbuments). Gear will have to be crafted and points can only be spent from the Crafting CP pool (CCPP?) to create it. Monsters will have certain elemental essences that can be harvested as well as mundane materials (poisons, hide, chitin, etc).

We will probably cap the amount of CP that can be put into any single gadget based on either Magery or monster crafting skill or some combination of both.

The elemental essences will work kind of like Pokemon (where X power is weak against Y but is strong against Z).

Need to come up with a decent crafting procedure to create these "gadget" packages though.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:48 AM   #9
synistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I'd be strongly tempted to steal from the crafting in After the End, actually, perhaps mixing in some of the guidelines on harvesting monster bits from Dungeon Fantasy.
Hmm, let me see...

After the End: Hmm, rules for scavenging, and crafting gear in "After the End 2 - The New World". They are tech based but we are not coming up with dollar values for the gear (using special CP to create it instead). So the rules don't exactly match up. The rules do provide a nice guideline for how much time things would take though. We will see if some of this works for us. I do like the differentiation between the Gadgeteer and Quick Gadgeteer advantages. We may repurpose them for monster-bits-crafting.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by synistar View Post
Hmm, let me see...

After the End: Hmm, rules for scavenging, and crafting gear in "After the End 2 - The New World". They are tech based but we are not coming up with dollar values for the gear (using special CP to create it instead). So the rules don't exactly match up. The rules do provide a nice guideline for how much time things would take though. We will see if some of this works for us. I do like the differentiation between the Gadgeteer and Quick Gadgeteer advantages. We may repurpose them for monster-bits-crafting.
Metatronic Generators, from one of the Wierd Science issues of Pyramid, gives good guidelines for turning Gadgets into gear, so you could use that to convert fairly readily.