Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-27-2017, 06:29 AM   #1
Suncrush

Default Flattening Maps--Plexiglas? Other options?

Has anyone tried putting a piece of plexiglas or something over the maps on the table to flatten them out so counters don't slide down creases? Does it work, or is it too slippery?
Suncrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:44 AM   #2
Blue Ghost

Default Re: Flattening Maps--Plexiglas? Other options?

I've thought about this too, and am also interested.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #3
Parody

We use sticky tack (for putting up posters and such) to keep counters and vehicles from moving around. We do sometimes use sheets of thick plastic to flatten out our rolled-up maps; they work OK but because the ones we have are smaller than the maps and they slide easily we have to be careful to mark where they started.

Last edited by Parody; 10-27-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 09:15 AM   #4
owenmp

For over 10 years I have used two large pieces of acrylic acquired from Lowe's Hardware to place over Formula De/Formula D racetracks. The acrylic sheets keep the maps flat, protect the out of print maps, and permit overhead projector pens to be used to write on the gaming surface for debris, oil, and game notes.

Acrylic sheets are less durable than plexiglass but they are lighter in weight and fit in most non-cargo vehicles (i.e., cars smaller than pickups, SUVs, and vans).

I also have used my acrylic sheets for Car Wars maps. The acrylic sheets work well.

I use sticky tack for my counters for dropped weapons, debris, and other map effects. Make sure you remove sticky tack from your counters and maps right after gaming. Sticky tack often stains counters and maps if left on those paper items for an extended period of time. Sticky tack solves the slippery issue with counters and many playing surfaces.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
jimmylogan

You can always turn it over, put a light cloth on it, and iron it smooth before use. I’ve done that in the past.
jimmylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
JimTullis

I do not recall the size of the Arenas from the current edition and the Arena Box.

BUT, I do know that WalMart carries a couple of different Poster Frames that are the correct size for the Arena that came in the current edition. (It's the second largest size Walmart carries, and it seems like an odd size compared to the rest of the sizes.)

The difference between the frames is a matter of quality and intricacy of the frame itself. Luckily, the one with the lower profile frame is also the cheaper option. They have either a cardboard or very thin mdf back (usually cardboard) and a very thin acrylic or plexi (I don't know which) front. They all have cheap hanging hardware on the back. If you are going to use them on a table, I recommend removing the hanging hardware.

I did not need to trim the sheet any, and after framing, the walls of the arena are between 1 and 4 squares inside the framed area.

I have not yet tried Dry Erase or Overhead Transparency Wet Erase markers on my poster frame, so I don't know how they would react. I suspect they would be OK as long as they aren't left on too long.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncrush View Post
Has anyone tried putting a piece of plexiglas or something over the maps on the table to flatten them out so counters don't slide down creases? Does it work, or is it too slippery?
Yes, it works, but it makes for some issues in reading the terrain. If it's thick enough to hold it down, it's thick enough to visuallydisplace the coounters from the map.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
43Supporter

Most of my maps were run through the laminator at the local Fed-UPS; storage involves two flat pieces of cardboard. :)

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
schoon

Another vote here for clear acrylic sheet over your maps.

Keeps them flat; no more slippery than paper for counters; and allows use of wet-erase markers if needed.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #10
Blue Ghost

What's a good plastic thickness for such a project?
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote