Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Praxian

Default Harry Potter (Mechanics)

Looking for some feedback on what you guys think of this setup. I realize there's a bunch of HP stuff out there, and that mine is another version, but I'm fleshing this out so that I can use it at a future convention and I'd really like to have the communities input on honest opinions of it.

Of course the biggest problem is of course figuring out the "Magic" of using "Spells vs Powers" function. I've thought about both, but want your guys opinions on it.

MAGERY 0:
All spells require Verbal component
-5%
Accessibility: Can only be powered by Energy Reserve
-5%

MAGERY 1+: (Over time possible to buy off Gadget Limitations)
Gadget / Breakable: DR 2 or less
-20%
-5%
-5%
Gadget/Can Be Stolen: Thief must win a Quick Contest of DX or ST
-30%
Gadget / Breakable: Size -5 or -6 (covers wand sizes from 7 inches to 17 inches)
-10%

(Total mods = -70% for Magery)

Gadget modifiers were deliberately left out of Magery 0 to show that spells -can- still be done, but are MUCH more difficult if attempted without a wand.

As individual Powers:
Magical
-10%
Costs Energy Reserve (Minimum 1 for everything)
-5% per 1 ER
-5%
Must use Wand for spell
-60% (total cost represents the gadget above costs combined)
-5%
(Total = -85%, caps at -80% so some minor tweaking with powers giving a small +5% freebie of some sort to "personalize" them some)

Needed No-Matter What:

Energy Reserve (Magic) with "Special Recharge" (-70%)
Makes each point of ER cost roughly 9/10 of 1 point. Of course, since GURPS makes things minimum of 1 point, you'd only see the "savings" or extra points every so often (and a few times you'd get 2 points for the price of 1 as well...).

Regeneration: (Fast minimum @ 1 ER / minute)
Magical
-10%
*Energy Reserve Only (OR) Energy Reserve Recovery
+0% / + 100%
(GM OPTIONAL)
Requires Concentrate
-15%

* = Would only reccomend the latter with a Wizard character who has been out of "School" for a number of years and has performed various experiments to raise their power over their body significantly on their own. This would represent a HUGE "magical breakthrough" for the Wizarding World.

Requires Concentrate is a fantastic limitation to put on for extremely high levels of Regenerate (maybe even Mandatory if it ALSO heals Hit Points as-well-as ER).

Of course then there's also the issue of "Energy Reserve" to be used with spells and an issue of regenerating said energy costs. A very "Video-game" approach would be to use Regeneration, and of course as the player advances in cost they can raise the regen rate to recover the lost ER faster as they gain more power.

If doing the Magery-based spells, remove the limitation of "Mandatory" spells before learning other spells to keep it "Cinematic".

Because Magic is the key component in the HP World, wanted to focus on this aspect first and go from here. I can insert the various "Social" aspects a bit later (those are pretty easy by comparison honestly).

Hope everyone is having a good day, enjoy!

(Edit done to add in "Requires vocal component" -5%)
(Second Edit: Adds can be stolen gadget limitation for Magery 1+ and Powers)

Last edited by Praxian; 11-17-2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Edit Costs
Praxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Harry Potter (Mechanics)

I question the "Breakability" of the wands. It's really not a point in the genre.

Stealability, yes, but wands are broken so infrequently I'd consider lowering the Limitation's cost.

Unless you mean for it to cover both Breakable and Can be Stolen (and expect both to be at a low occurrence) in which case -30% looks good.

If you expect that Breakage will be a concern, then you're forgetting Breakable (Cannot Be Repaired/Expensive to Replace; -15%) and Can Be Stolen (Quick Contest*; -30%).

* Both DX and Disarming Hex.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I question the "Breakability" of the wands. It's really not a point in the genre.
Ron busts his wand in the second book as I recall.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:05 PM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
And that's not the only wand broken. Book 7 features multiple instances of wand breaking (among other wand lore). Hagrid makes do with the pieces of a broken wand for much of the books.

Wand breaking is viewed as particularly traumatic though.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
Praxian

Wand breaking is viewed as traumatic because when the wand breaks - most of the wizards ability to cast spells is also now broken.

As far as the stolen, I don't plan on a lot of wands being stolen so it will be a rare occurrence. The wizard-world looks heavily down on wand-thefts and place a lot of emphasis on being the "better spell-caster" (even the bad guys focus on duels over stealing wands...). Harry himself had 2 wands (3 if you include the Elder Wand eventually that he said he didn't want).

Overall though if you were to run a HP game, which version would you use for the spells? Magery with the various limitations or Powers with the various limitations?
Old 11-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #6
Varyon

Magic in Harry Potter may be closest to something like Ritual Magic, where you have a few base skills (Alchemy, Hex, Charm, etc) that you use at a penalty to cast spells. Characters can only use spells they've seen used or have received at least some instruction on (or done some work to invent themselves), but once that's the case they can use them freely and improve them through Techniques. For example, Harry is able to use some silent paralysis spell after only seeing a Death Eater use it once, and learns Levicorpus and Sectumsempra from reading them and seeing basic diagrams of the wand motions. He is similarly able to use two of the Unforgivable Curses, despite having obviously not practiced them. Nobody seems to think this is exceptional, and I'm certain there are cases in the books of others accomplishing similar feats.

While mages do get tired in HP, this seems to be more physical exhaustion from exertion than running out of some sort of mystical "steam." Honestly, instead of FP/ER, the HP spells probably use up AP from The Last Gasp (Pyramid #3/44) - a wizardly duel is more like a swordfight.

Finally, wands are absolutely breakable, and are necessary to cast spells, although from what I recall alchemy is still possible without them (and of course enchanted objects still function just fine without them).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #7
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

This was my attempt

I tried to have just a few skills related to casting actual spells, then required spells to be specific and emphasized researching spells.

So you have a skill called "Combat Magic" that lets you cast disarming spells, petrifying spells, bat-boogy spells, and so forth. But just knowing it doesn't let you come up with a spell that grows warts on the opponent willy-nilly: you have to hit the books and look up the spell, then you could use it with the skill.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #8
Praxian

"While mages do get tired in HP, this seems to be more physical exhaustion from exertion than running out of some sort of mystical "steam." Honestly, instead of FP/ER, the HP spells probably use up AP from The Last Gasp (Pyramid #3/44) - a wizardly duel is more like a swordfight."

I don't any Pyramid issues, have to look into downloading them and see about it. The cinematic wizard is basically equivalent to "have points, spend points, get spell" which seems to be more in-line with HP universe. With that in mind, the same concept of "have points, spend points, raise spell-level" which also raises your "ability" (level 20+ removes the need for physical gestures, reducing time, reducing cost, etc.).

There's plenty of reasoning for using either system honestly. Maybe with using it as powers have a required willpower roll or skill roll until the player "buys" that modifier off showing true proficiency with the "spell".

My main question as I flesh out the system is which system do you all think is a 'better' system for spell-flinging? I'm all about keeping things as simple as possible, but pricing and "modifiers" for the wand-aspect does kinda need to be addressed for the "points" in the campaign. :)

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!
Old 11-15-2016, 05:55 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
Wand breaking is viewed as traumatic because when the wand breaks - most of the wizards ability to cast spells is also now broken.

As far as the stolen, I don't plan on a lot of wands being stolen so it will be a rare occurrence. The wizard-world looks heavily down on wand-thefts and place a lot of emphasis on being the "better spell-caster"
Harry Potter's primary attack method is to disarm his opponent. It's such his trademark move that that the enemies identified him among a horde of imposters for his use of it.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 11-15-2016 at 07:08 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:32 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
And that's not the only wand broken. Book 7 features multiple instances of wand breaking (among other wand lore). Hagrid makes do with the pieces of a broken wand for much of the books.

Wand breaking is viewed as particularly traumatic though.
I can honestly state I don't remember breakage occurring that often.... but I haven't read the books sine they came out. Also I'm not sure they occur with the sort of frequency I'd expect from using the Gadget Limitation.

Quote:
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxian View Post
As far as the stolen, I don't plan on a lot of wands being stolen so it will be a rare occurrence. The wizard-world looks heavily down on wand-thefts and place a lot of emphasis on being the "better spell-caster" (even the bad guys focus on duels over stealing wands...). Harry himself had 2 wands (3 if you include the Elder Wand eventually that he said he didn't want).
arry Potter's primary attack method is to disarm his opponent. It's such his trademark move that that the enemies identified among a horde of imposters for his use of it.
Exactly, Can Be Stolen isn't just a "It's been stolen forever by some thief" but also "Your opponent has disarmed you!".

Which is why I put it as more important than "Breakable".
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote