Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-18-2016, 08:23 AM   #191
Diomedes

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic

How does the Dark Ones' Better Power Items perk interact with Incantation Magic, since it doesn't use power items as such?

I'm thinking it could reduce the number of magical components needed to provide an additional bonus (say, from 8 to 6, and from 30 to 20).
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #192
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
How does the Dark Ones' Better Power Items perk interact with Incantation Magic, since it doesn't use power items as such?

I'm thinking it could reduce the number of magical components needed to provide an additional bonus (say, from 8 to 6, and from 30 to 20).
Why would you expect it to matter at all? If you play a dark one knight you don't get to benefit from this perk.

Although if ER is somewhat useful for incantors shouldn't Power Items be as well?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:44 AM   #193
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Why would you expect it to matter at all? If you play a dark one knight you don't get to benefit from this perk.

Although if ER is somewhat useful for incantors shouldn't Power Items be as well?
You'd think so, but page 18 specifically says incanters cannot use Power Items.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #194
Anders

The one thing I don't like is the roll to attach Incantations, because that means a lot of die-rolling concentrated in a short time. Which is a bother. How about a Ritual Adept variant that allows you to skip that step? You wouldn't get any bonus from critical successes, but on the other hand you can't fail or critically fail either. Would 10 points be an appropriate cost?
Old 09-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #195
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The one thing I don't like is the roll to attach Incantations, because that means a lot of die-rolling concentrated in a short time. Which is a bother. How about a Ritual Adept variant that allows you to skip that step? You wouldn't get any bonus from critical successes, but on the other hand you can't fail or critically fail either. Would 10 points be an appropriate cost?
GM allowing, it would be a no nuisance perk per path skills.
No roll if effective skill is 16+.

Not sure I would allow it.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #196
Pseudonym

I think there should almost be an update/new volume similar to the next level that incorporates all the stuff that happened after DF2.
  • Advice on old races and new classes with choice and marginal lists modernized
  • Lenses or perks to accomodate different power sources than vanilla magic
  • And potentially new races that even better accomodate newer professions.

The main focus of the book would be advice for different power sources/ability systems and more races.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #197
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
^This.

Quote:
The thought was that they get to benefit from magical components, which work better for them, and allowing both would be a bit of an imbalance ("Why do the new guys get two ways to improve their spells?").

That said, allowing them power items in your game won't break anything. Just bear in mind that your other spellcaster players may start whining at you to let them use magical components as well.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:40 PM   #198
TTiger97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
You need a portable workspace kit to prepare incantations outside of town, no power-up required. Now, in town, you have access to better tools so you might get a bonus (if you pay extra) instead of the penalty you get with a portable workspace kit.
True but your rolls are at -2 then. I'm looking for a way to prepare incantations without having to pay that pesky $30 in town or rolling at -2. My idea is that if Field Caster makes a circle unnecessary, which is something that can also be substituted by a portable workspace kit, then does it make it possible to prepare incantations and attach them to one's aura without cost or penalty?
TTiger97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #199
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
GM allowing, it would be a no nuisance perk per path skills.
No roll if effective skill is 16+.

Not sure I would allow it.
A perk is too little. 10 point is the cost for Ritual Adept variants so that's what I went with.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #200
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
A perk is too little. 10 point is the cost for Ritual Adept variants so that's what I went with.
A perk per path, so thats 8 cp. Add a small UB, and a total price of 10-15 seem adequate.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, fantasy