Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-21-2023, 12:37 AM   #31
mburr0003

Default Re: The ability of DFRPG PCs to "break" the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
I don't think it would be that easy, but am interested in gaming it out if you are.
I'll note, I'm completely looking at this from the standpoint of melee professions, Barbarian, Knight, Swashbuckler. Probably Scout too if they've got a decent range between themselves and they all stand around shooting while not in cover...

Depending on build, Holy Warrior can take 4 62 point versions of a Holy Warrior, but it's tight because some HW abilities will be absolutely useless, while others will be strong but swingy. Probably the same with a Cleric, depending on build, as the 250er can much more easily heal himself during a fight, more spells, higher skill, but he's not much better at physically fighting than 4 Acolytes.

Wizard? I'm not even going to try to predict that, as the 250 point Wizard isn't much better in a non-magic fight than an Apprentice, and four opponent casters that synergize well, even with lower skills and weaker spells might pull of an easy victory.

For casters it really comes down to build.

Without the Denizens book, I don't think a Thief can handle four 62 point cut-throats at all.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:13 AM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
1st-level wizards have always had spells in D&D. 1st-level clerics did not in BECMI.
A spell. Which one largely determined your survival versus a cat. Did ordinary wizard troops get one spell per fireteam?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:22 AM   #33
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburr0003 View Post
I'll note, I'm completely looking at this from the standpoint of melee professions, Barbarian, Knight, Swashbuckler. Probably Scout too if they've got a decent range between themselves and they all stand around shooting while not in cover...
I am also thinking specifically of Knights. I think it ultimately comes down to gear and tactics.

The 250 point Knight has a better chance if he's heavily armored: DR 7ish will give him better odds of surviving when surrounded. 62 point knights have pretty fair odds of hitting feet/hands, but DR 7 would probably ensure that he doesn't get crippled, I think, although it also depends on the build and equipment choices made by the OPFOR. E.g. 2d+5 fine axes wielded by halfogres have a good chance of crippling him anyway. Even regular 1d+5ish greatswords wielded by humans might be enough though. I'm not sure without gaming it out--and I'm not sure what kind of 250 pointer you have in mind in the first place.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote