Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
JLV

Default Interesting Solitaire Concept

I ran across something called Four Against Darkness a couple of days ago. I've only read reviews, and haven't ordered a copy yet or anything, but it sounds like an interesting concept for solitaire play.

Of course, it's designed for D&D-ish games, not hexagonal games, but the concept seems to be that you randomly generate rooms and passages based on both a system and the choices you as a player make, and then deal with the creatures therein (also randomly generated -- but done so within the story concept of the adventure you are participating in). Oh, and your party is apparently composed of four figures...

This seems like it might be an interesting concept for a new generation of "solo adventures" for TFT. However, having said that, I need to repeat that I haven't yet acquired a copy (and probably won't until my next paycheck), so in the meantime, has anyone else out there run across this game yet? And can you share anything about it from you personal experience?

It seems to have been a thing for a while since there are apparently a number of adventures as well as what appear to be two "core" rulebooks (Four Against Darkness, and Four Against the Abyss), though the latter appears to be more for higher "level" characters...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Interesting Solitaire Concept

I'm aware of it, but haven't played it. It's by the guy who designed the acclaimed fantasy skirmish game "Song of Blades and Heroes" which I have played. I don't know if they share any mechanical ideas but there are a number of reviews over at Boardgamegeek:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ainst-darkness
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
CardDiceian

That's Andrea Sfiligoi. He's a nice guy, and quite approachable.

I got Song Of Blades & Heroes, along with a couple of the early additions when it first came out. i think it was still in development at the time, as it was very much a case of trialing stuff to see if it worked well and talking about where to take it from there etc.

I'm not familiar with the Four Against things, but will have a look.

Andrea is on Facebook & Twitter, so we can ask him if he's tested it with the Fantasy Trip, or aware that it is making a comeback.
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #4
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I'm aware of it, but haven't played it. It's by the guy who designed the acclaimed fantasy skirmish game "Song of Blades and Heroes" which I have played. I don't know if they share any mechanical ideas but there are a number of reviews over at Boardgamegeek:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...ainst-darkness
Thanks Chris. I'd never heard of Song of Blades and Heroes before -- the reviews are interesting!

I wonder if he'd consider doing something with it to adapt it to TFT, if the Kickstarter does well (and if Steve would allow such a thing).
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Thanks Chris. I'd never heard of Song of Blades and Heroes before -- the reviews are interesting!

I wonder if he'd consider doing something with it to adapt it to TFT, if the Kickstarter does well (and if Steve would allow such a thing).
I don't think there'd be any need to adapt it to TFT as I'm sure the concept is quite simple. It's also not original, as "random dungeons" via table have been around since the early days of D&D. It would be fairly straightforward to create something like this for TFT using simple rules and tables.

Having said that, I haven't read it, and perhaps it has some innovations, but I doubt Andrea would be interested in licensing it for another system.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
CardDiceian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I doubt Andrea would be interested in licensing it for another system.
Having had a quick look over it - It's a standalone game, so doesn't build on an existing system of any type.
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #7
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardDiceian View Post
Having had a quick look over it - It's a standalone game, so doesn't build on an existing system of any type.
That's true, but his main game, Songs of Blades and Heroes, and it's many variants, will be in competition with Melee/Wizard and to an extent TFT.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #8
guymc

Semi-randomly generated dungeon (or even overland) games are nothing new. (Was it someone here who mentioned The Sorcerer’s Cave, or was that on my @TFTGuy Twitter feed?) What I believe has not been done is a similar game where encounters get played out using a detailed board-based combat system and where the adventuring can be done alongside or in conjunction with full gamemastered RPG play.

“Has not been done” before, that is.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
What I believe has not been done is a similar game where encounters get played out using a detailed board-based combat system and where the adventuring can be done alongside or in conjunction with full gamemastered RPG play.

Car Wars had some adventures like this.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #10
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
Semi-randomly generated dungeon (or even overland) games are nothing new. (Was it someone here who mentioned The Sorcerer’s Cave, or was that on my @TFTGuy Twitter feed?) What I believe has not been done is a similar game where encounters get played out using a detailed board-based combat system and where the adventuring can be done alongside or in conjunction with full gamemastered RPG play.

I think some Guy wrote a game like that where you played a knight of Camelot. I've heard he's a strange fellow...

Last edited by zot; 07-18-2018 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Fixed capitalization
zot is offline   Reply With Quote