Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #51
tbone

Default Re: Biotech: Help me justify good looking females with high strength values

The presentation of the question is a bit odd. The actual question appears to be "What are some ways to justify higher ST without added musculature?"

The goal in mind may be a gameworld featuring women who are stronger than they appear, for reasons tied to the gameworld's aesthetics... but it's an equally interesting question for men who want strength without bulk (should some game society, or just individual preference, call for it), for non-human races that are stronger than they look, for assassin-types who may need great strength but want to appear unremarkable, etc.

Gender and aesthetics aside, I have only one suggestion to add. It's always seemed to me that, in RL, some portion of effective ST – maybe a small portion, but a portion all the same – is mental. That is, many "normal" people without much combat or athletic experience seem to hold back, inhibited from really applying their full innate power. I mean people who can't commit to a real punch, who have never properly run full-out, who appear no weaker than capable kids in gym class but just hang at the bottom of the climbing rope, saying "I can't..."

Yes, it's a fuzzy thing, and no, I can't put numbers on it, or even demonstrate that I'm not talking nonsense. And to the extent that I'm talking something real, maybe it's best handled as a disad (e.g., -1 ST) even if it's arguably found in a majority of people (like Combat Paralysis?). Or maybe it's best handled as a Quirk found in many people: "No All-Out actions or Extra Effort outside of emergencies". (Or best dismissed entirely. : )

BUT, if the idea sounds at all plausible, you could justify any character purchasing a modest +1 ST with no physical modifications at all, representing lack of inhibition, experience in applying physical power, and other "mindset" factors that unlock full inherent ST.

Maybe an odd idea. Use or reject as you like.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #52
Anthony

Default Re: Biotech: Help me justify good looking females with high strength values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
They are also slightly stronger but our main target at the moment is to raise HP for which we need to increase weight, however my specifications are that we must not touch the height and we must not touch the bulk (so "appearance" must also be a constant) :P
Then you're going to have to redesign the muscle fibers, because the biologically normal way of increasing ST is by adding muscle mass (to a first approximation, BL will be proportional to the cross-section of your muscles), and that will alter appearance. Heavy water is not likely to help, different fibers probably can but we have no real idea how to do that.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #53
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
BUT, if the idea sounds at all plausible, you could justify any character purchasing a modest +1 ST with no physical modifications at all, representing lack of inhibition, experience in applying physical power, and other "mindset" factors that unlock full inherent ST.

Maybe an odd idea. Use or reject as you like.
Realistically, you could probably justify more than +1 ST in that manner. Humans are very conservative in how we use our strength (we're cursorial hunting predators by nature) and theoretically, most people are capable of much greater exertion and explosive power than they realise, though the risk of injury is significant.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #54
Flyndaran
Untagged

Hysterical strength is real if not at the level most urban legends state.
I had "issues" as a child and did things that would likely be very difficult for me to do as an adult.
I was quite lucky never to have hurt or crippled myself.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:26 PM   #55
scc

I think part of the OP's problem is that she (?) has an unrealistic view of GURPS ST, ST 13 is probably a normal women/person who works out, so a ST 13 women would be well-toned if they don't have fat deposits obscuring the view, but nothing more.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #56
Flyndaran
Untagged

Exactly what the normal range of stats are is often debated.
But 6'2, mildly beefy lean upper tier women lifters should certainly pass 13 in lifting strength at least
Old 07-15-2018, 12:42 AM   #57
Alonsua
Banned

ST 13 in this setting is probably equivalent to ST 15-16 in your settings. ST 14 would be equivalent to ST 17-18 and ST 15 would be equivalent to ST 19-20.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:03 AM   #58
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Then you're going to have to redesign the muscle fibers, because the biologically normal way of increasing ST is by adding muscle mass (to a first approximation, BL will be proportional to the cross-section of your muscles), and that will alter appearance. Heavy water is not likely to help, different fibers probably can but we have no real idea how to do that.
Thats what I said at the beginning though many people stated that it would be problematic.

I think we could start by making the osteocytes provide harder fibers like carbosilicate compounds that are harder than bones and proper organic bonding agents. Basically reengineering the bones to use organic kevlar.

The rest about muscles is the fact that they are also tuned with a majority of myosin-heavy chain II against chain I, so reversing the proportions should work and be fixed by tailoring the innervation for precision working on the nerve structure to be able to get both power and control on the new fibers. On top of that just take carbon fiber again.

To avoid killing our test subject with muscles probably consuming much more oxygen and glucose and producing more lactic acid we will also need to remake the hemoglobin or redesign the venous valves, arterial tunica, lungs and heart.

For explosive strength we will then need to deploy glucose and oxygen or ATP locally at will.

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-15-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:48 AM   #59
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
ST 13 in this setting is probably equivalent to ST 15-16 in your settings. ST 14 would be equivalent to ST 17-18 and ST 15 would be equivalent to ST 19-20.
Yes and no matter the setting, ST 13 is described as follows in the rules:
13 or 14: Exceptional. Such an attribute is immediately apparent – as bulging muscles, feline grace, witty dialog, or glowing health – to those who meet you. (GURPS Lite and GURPS Basic Set)
A ST 13 woman is able to lift 246 lbs (120 kg) several times in a raw without the least extra effort (nor the least point in Lifting skill).

Last edited by Gollum; 07-15-2018 at 02:05 AM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:12 AM   #60
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Realistically, you could probably justify more than +1 ST in that manner. Humans are very conservative in how we use our strength (we're cursorial hunting predators by nature) and theoretically, most people are capable of much greater exertion and explosive power than they realise, though the risk of injury is significant.
I tend to agree. But, actually, isn’t that kind of explosive strength quite well simulated by extra effort?
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote