Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #11
Alonsua
Banned

Default Re: Bioengineering/Strength and Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Conditioning is the best way to increase ST and HP, as muscle mass and bone density increase while fat decreases, and individual muscle fibers and bone tissues become stronger and tougher. Conditioned muscle and bones are stronger and tougher per pound than normal muscle or bone. With increased ST and increased HP, you end up with more muscle and bone and better muscle and bone.
Thats why I wanted to increase density sinc the girls already look like a 6'2" height version of Anllela Sagra/Pauline Nordin/Andreia Brazier.

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-13-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
What would happen if I were to increase the density of muscles, bones, etc. instead of increasing apparent things such as muscles or height in order to increase Strength? Would that count as eugenic, species or radical species modifications? Is there any chance to increase Strength without increasing body weight?
Increasing density to any significant degree turns into mechanical engineering, not bioengineering, because you're no longer dealing with anything reasonably related to biological materials. If you're sticking to bioengineering involving materials remotely similar to mammalian muscle, you can get a bit of alteration by changing ratios of different muscle types, trimming fat, and conditioning muscle to get max response. None of this will produce performance dramatically beyond a modern top athlete with a similar body type (note: you can get some bonus performance by removing or minimizing organs that are irrelevant to your objectives, but this will have visible effects, particularly on females, since most of those excess organs are in the torso; other than subcutaneous fat, not much to trim on the arms and legs).
Old 07-14-2018, 12:40 AM   #13
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Increasing density to any significant degree turns into mechanical engineering, not bioengineering, because you're no longer dealing with anything reasonably related to biological materials. If you're sticking to bioengineering involving materials remotely similar to mammalian muscle, you can get a bit of alteration by changing ratios of different muscle types, trimming fat, and conditioning muscle to get max response. None of this will produce performance dramatically beyond a modern top athlete with a similar body type (note: you can get some bonus performance by removing or minimizing organs that are irrelevant to your objectives, but this will have visible effects, particularly on females, since most of those excess organs are in the torso; other than subcutaneous fat, not much to trim on the arms and legs).
need to find a way to increase ST from 13 to 15 without changing body type or proportions.

13: Amazing (highest you’ll likely see or hear about, strongly defines an adventurer).
14: Historical “bests” (historical “bests” and world-class people).
15: Unsurpassable (astounding even among great historical “bests”).

For this, weight needs to be increased from 216 lbs to 343 lbs.

Why could not they be biomaterials discovered or developed with Bioengineering (Tissue engineering) the same but opposed way that rodents have the least dense skeletons?
Old 07-14-2018, 02:51 AM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
13: Amazing (highest you’ll likely see or hear about, strongly defines an adventurer).
14: Historical “bests” (historical “bests” and world-class people).
15: Unsurpassable (astounding even among great historical “bests”).

For this, weight needs to be increased from 216 lbs to 343 lbs.
No it doesn't. ST 25% above normal for a given weight doesn't really require anything exotic at all.
Quote:
Why could not they be biomaterials discovered or developed with Bioengineering (Tissue engineering) the same but opposed way that rodents have the least dense skeletons?
Skeletal density is a function of the ratio of mineral to cartilage. The density of the mineral is pretty fixed, though.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:00 AM   #15
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
No it doesn't. ST 25% above normal for a given weight doesn't really require anything exotic at all.

Skeletal density is a function of the ratio of mineral to cartilage. The density of the mineral is pretty fixed, though.
My problem being that 216 lbs is not the normal weight for ST 13, it is the minimum. The normal is 275 lbs. Can you think of some way to increase the mass without increasing the volume?
Old 07-14-2018, 03:06 AM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
My problem being that 216 lbs is not the normal weight for ST 13, it is the minimum.
216 is the normal weight for ST 12. ST 12 +25% = ST 15.
Quote:
Can you think of some way to increase the mass without increasing the volume?
Sure. Embed metal in them. However, you can raise ST without raising mass, by having more and/or better muscles as a fraction of your total mass.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:49 AM   #17
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
216 is the normal weight for ST 12. ST 12 +25% = ST 15.

Sure. Embed metal in them. However, you can raise ST without raising mass, by having more and/or better muscles as a fraction of your total mass.
As you probably noticed already the normal weight for a given strength is the bare minimum for that given strength +1 (optional disadvantage: skinny) and the maximum for that given strength -1 when you are not willing to take a disadvantage. Would the second option (having more and/or better muscles as a fraction of your total mass) be posible without changing physical appearance?

Girls at ST 13 already look like 188 cms height variants of this:

Anllela, Pauline 1, Pauline 2, Andreia.

While normal ST 13 at the same height should look like this:

Maria, Maria 2, Maria 3.

And ST 14 would be closer to this:

Nataliya, Nataliya 2, Nataliya 3

And ST 15 would look like ST 14 at over 208 cms height.

Summary: I want to keep ST 13 appearance at 188 cms height and be able to use ST 15 in the characters.

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-14-2018 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Those looked like steroid abusing body builders, not weight lifters. Look at world record holders of lifting for each weight category. Even the men rarely look anywhere near that beefy.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:09 AM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

One way to increase effective strength would be to simply increase resistance to injury when "red-lining". We all have a little bit of emergency force we rarely use for safety's sake. I don't think there are many rules for realistically hurting yourself when using extra effort though.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #20
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Those looked like steroid abusing body builders, not weight lifters. Look at world record holders of lifting for each weight category. Even the men rarely look anywhere near that beefy.
Kirill Sarychev has the record for bench press without shirt and he weighs 375-400 lbs (he is about ST 14 in this setting by the way). Most weight lifters do not look like that because they can not concentrate on showing off the muscles, but they do it in gaining muscle mass, and the best way to do it is to eat a lot which also covers the muscles of good layers of fat.