Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 03-14-2017, 10:15 AM   #131
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Default Re: The 2017 W23 Digital Release, GURPS stuff and Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We have no plans to release those in PDF at this moment. We are keeping a close eye on GURPS sales across all channels and collecting information.
Would it be accurate to say that there is nothing in those two licences preventing you (SJG) from releasing the titles electronically, but at present you're gathering information on the financial viability of doing so?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:19 AM   #132
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnke View Post

I've been a fanboy since the 80's and I have noticed something in the past 5 or so years...No one has heard of GURPS. The silver linging is these new players don't have preconcieved misconceptions of the system. When I run them through a game or two and they're completely hooked.
That is kind of cool. Around here I bring up GURPS and most long time gamers have heard of it but never tried it and suffer from the its too complex meme.
Its no more complex than Hero Systems but has more depth. The main issue people have on initial exposure is they see all the available product and equate the depth with complexity. GURPS Lite when explained as the real rules, everything else pretty much adds optional detail if you want it shows pretty good results.
But not having to fight that overly complex mean in the first place is a win.
I hope the DFRPG and other potential boxed sets work along those lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
As someone who works daily on sales to a wider audience, I can report that the easiest part is getting onto the shelf. Staying there, year after year is the challenge.

And you _must_ be certain of sell-through at mass specialty, book, and big box stores. Returns and markdowns are brutal and putting the wrong product in can lead to disastrous results in the future.

Outside of the US, our distributors handle sales to those wider channels. In the US, we're personally involved in each phase, and I can guarantee that if we had the GURPS product to fit those stores and thrive, then we would take steps to run tests.

Dungeon Fantasy may be the right product. We'll know more once the game ships to hobby distribution, and we get some info on how the small market is reacting.
As for books in bookstores, here in the USA I have seen GURPS books along with other game books in stores but mostly non chain or second hand (Half Price Books for example) stores. I suspect they are getting them through game distributors rather than regular channels.
And as a former retailer I can attest to Phil Reeds comments about keeping the product on shelves as the key issue.
Stores pay rent and depend on every square foot making money.
So a low volume book is not very attractive.
Card or board games do so well becasue they have higher turnover and some FLGS have game tables and a quick to start game is going to appeal to more of the drop in crowd.

Hmm A GURPS Lite box with a couple of simple adventures, maybe in the DeathTest mode (I expect all staff to get the reference) that could be run solo or in a group with premade characters might be an idea.

"Play a quick RPG with your friends, no charecter creation or complicated rules just fast old fashioned fun! Try GURPS Mini today!!"

GURPS Mini includes a customized version of GURPS Lite, no character creation just rules for playing, a GM guide, one or two adventures with rules for changing difficulty based on number of players (Add 1 monster for each additional player, etc) and rules and explanation of stuff specific to the genre/adventure.
So GURPS Mini Dungeon Fantasy could have prebuilt characters using DF rules and explanations for any spells and powers picked for those characters.
A random dungeon, cardboard heroes and a battle map and play pretty much like a board game.
Include an ad sheet with the DF line as well as highlights of other genres.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #133
Mailanka

I notice that the thread is predicting a release of Pyramid tomorrow. Doesn't Pyramid usually release on the second to last Thursday rather than the third Thursday? Shouldn't it come out next week?
Old 03-15-2017, 09:08 AM   #134
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I notice that the thread is predicting a release of Pyramid tomorrow. Doesn't Pyramid usually release on the second to last Thursday rather than the third Thursday? Shouldn't it come out next week?
Your right. Fixed
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-15-2017, 01:26 PM   #135
Refplace

So what guesses do we have for Pyramid?
I am thinking DF based on Kromms Journal that he has been writing articles.
Also orignial date was May so a march or April DF issue just makes sense, possibly even both though I suspect one may be pushed back with the later release date.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 PM   #136
PK

Just wanted to drop a heads up here that we actually had two Sunday releases this week; details in this thread.

Don't worry, that isn't going to preclude the usual Pyramid release on Thursday. As to its theme, all I'll say is that it's a theme we've never done before, that may be most relevant a short delay after release.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #137
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Guess: The humor issue right before April 1st.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #138
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Guess: The humor issue right before April 1st.
I think your right and look forward to what people came up with for it.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 PM   #139
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I think your right and look forward to what people came up with for it.
My sense of humor was shot off in the war.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #140
Imion

C'est un jeu sérieux...

Tags
speculation