Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2019, 01:31 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Default Godlike Abilities [Powers]

This is sort of the antithesis of the Minor League Supers thread and the old 50-point ability thread. This is the thread for ludicrously powerful, expensive abilities that would probably never work in a real game, but are fun to think about.

Here's one I made based on "the Snap" from Avengers: Infinity War.

Universal Culling (+5115%): Toxic Attack 500d (Area Effect 91, +4550%, Cosmic (Ignores DR), +300%, Cosmic (Ignores Damage Reduction), +300%, Bombardment (10, Special effect: Not affected by target size), -15%, Emanation, -20%) [104,300]

When Universal Culling is used, every living creature in the universe has a 50% chance of taking 500d of damage, unaffected by DR and Damage Reduction (this one I'm a bit iffy on, but I think it's plausible enough). The Bombardment is a matter of flavor. It can be changed for a comparatively minuscule amount of points. A 25% chance saves 100 pts, a 75% chance costs 100 points, a 90% chance costs 200 points, a 100% chance costs 300 points, and adding Selective Area costs 400 points. Removing Bombardment and adding Selective Area also brings the cost to a round [105,000] and turns it into an all-purpose instant-kill tool usable for anything from assassination to universal annihilation.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:46 AM   #2
Andreas
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default Re: Godlike Abilities [Powers]

Area of effect innate attacks like that do not cover the entire universe. Just a cylinder which (while very wide) is just 4 yards high.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:47 AM   #3
awesomenessofme1
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Default Re: Godlike Abilities [Powers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Area of effect innate attacks like that do not cover the entire universe. Just a cylinder which (while very wide) is just 4 yards high.
Well, given that there are, to my knowledge, no ways to change the height of an Area Effect attack (seems like a pretty big thing to be lacking in my opinion), and the fact that the exact point total doesn't really matter, just assume that it has some large enhancement to make it spherical.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #4
Varyon
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Godlike Abilities [Powers]

It should be possible to have it extend upwards instead. If we allow an ability to be shaped freely when initially designed, then considering each additional level of AE multiplies volume by 4, 44 additional levels of AE (+2200%, or [+4400]) will give roughly twice the volume of the universe.

If sticking with pure RAW, however, weíd have to make it Persistent and the +60% version of Wall, and considering the first level of AE with Wall gives only 72 yards, and each additional level gives x2 to the volume, thatís going to need a lot of levels of AE (the volume of the universe is roughly 5e80 cubic yards; if Iíve done my math right, that calls for 263 levels of AE). On the bright side, with it now doing damage over time, you donít need to have the initial damage quite as high (you may want to add in Unhealing Damage or similar to negate any regenerators).
__________________
GURPS Overhaul
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Varyon
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Godlike Abilities [Powers]

I should note that, above, when I said 72 yards I meant cubic yards.
__________________
GURPS Overhaul
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: Godlike Abilities [Powers]

There are some really cheap godlike abilities. For example, you could have Visualization (Blessing, +100%; Cosmic, +50%; Link, +20%; Reduced Time 7, +140%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [46] plus Visualization (Cosmic, +50%; Cursing, +100%; Link, +20%; Reduced Time 7, +140%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [46] to allow you to bless one person and curse a different person every turn during combat, allowing for some pretty substantial control abilities.

If you wanted, you could potentially take Compartmentalized Mind to provide blessings and curses to more than one pair of people per turn. With Massively Parrelel (+20%), you could even influence the fates of billions by taking level 64.
AlexanderHowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
awesomenessofme1
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Default Re: Godlike Abilities [Powers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
There are some really cheap godlike abilities. For example, you could have Visualization (Blessing, +100%; Cosmic, +50%; Link, +20%; Reduced Time 7, +140%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [46] plus Visualization (Cosmic, +50%; Cursing, +100%; Link, +20%; Reduced Time 7, +140%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [46] to allow you to bless one person and curse a different person every turn during combat, allowing for some pretty substantial control abilities.

If you wanted, you could potentially take Compartmentalized Mind to provide blessings and curses to more than one pair of people per turn. With Massively Parrelel (+20%), you could even influence the fates of billions by taking level 64.
Two things. One, you may have misinterpreted my first post a bit. It's not about abilities that emulate gods, it's about extremely powerful, expensive abilities. And two, I'm not sure you can do that. It's arguable about whether blessing is a combat action or not, and Massively Parallel doesn't let you use combat actions.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
Not another shrubbery
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Godlike Abilities [Powers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Well, given that there are, to my knowledge, no ways to change the height of an Area Effect attack (seems like a pretty big thing to be lacking in my opinion), and the fact that the exact point total doesn't really matter, just assume that it has some large enhancement to make it spherical.
I dunno if it's been sourced since then, but we went over this in far more detail than I thought necessary (*winkgrin*) back in this old thread. You might find one of the suggestions there to your liking.
After all this time (nine years?! Good grief!), I still give away spherical ZOE for free. I've never found it to be a problem at the scales I play in. Maybe a premium becomes more needed at cosmic levels.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
Andreas
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default Re: Godlike Abilities [Powers]

Such a universe covering attack would probably also need the Underwater enhancement (and other custom enhancements for non-water liquids).

"Attacks are assumed to be usable in air or in vacuum, but ineffective in liquid."

It is not entirely clear to me whether area attacks originating in air can affect targets in liquids, but you would at the very least need enhancemnts if you want the user to be able to use it while submerged (then there is also a bit of uncertainty about phases of matter other than those listed such as plasma).
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
AlexanderHowl
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Default Re: Godlike Abilities [Powers]

You do not need highly expensive abilities to do godlike things, you just need to have overwhelming power and use the Ultrapower ability. The Infinity Gauntlet was just a gadget that gave its wearers a) the unlimited Ultrapower ability, b) the ability to survive using multiple Infinity Gems, and c) allowing the abilities of the Infinity Gems to count for their power level when attempting its Ultrapower ability.

Each Infinity Gem probably had a value of 4,000+ CP (including its own limited version of the Ultrapower ability), so the Infinity Gauntlet allowed its user to have a pool of 24,000+ CP for using Ultrapower. With that level of power, the average human could do anything, up to and including making a multiverse where they are an all powerful deity, assuming they succeeded on a roll for a Transcendent action. Of course, that would mean that the current universe could have been produced by such an action...
AlexanderHowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
damage reduction, hardened, powers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.