Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 02-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #21
stefanj

Default Re: Loren Wiseman has passed away. RIP.

Crumbs.

{Kicks metaphorical cat}

Likely met Loren along with other GDW notables back in the early 80s, but really only conversed with him here.

I'd like to give a shout-out to those who helped out Loren with health care related bills through the years. It really burns me that this was necessary. He's not the only great game designer who has ended up needed GoFundMe to pay off medical debt.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:37 AM   #22
Bontainer

For those who want to know more, this link might be helpful...

https://www.youcaring.com/loren-k-wiseman-495303
Bontainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #23
DAT

RIP Loren

Thanks for all the fun stories. You will be missed.
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #24
jason taylor

First Hans, then Loren? Sad how people keep going. But they left what they wrote behind so in a way they're still here wherever else they might be. There's worse ways to be remembered.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:34 AM   #25
ColBosch

It feels really horrible to me that people continue to argue stuff in threads without acknowledging this one. I know it's personal bias, but it still hurts.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:30 AM   #26
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

I was deeply saddened to learn of Loren's passing. I only met him once or twice in person at conventions, but we worked together on several projects over the years. I always found him a pleasant and considerate editor and co-author, and a kindred spirit for his deep interest in military history and wargaming.

Some of the things Loren wrote personally for Traveller- like 76 Patrons - were so well done I continue to use them as inspirations today. He also did an excellent job with the Twilight 2000 line; while I never ran a campaign, I bought many of the sourcebooks in the line, and I know from anecdotes that these got many people in the US military and Canadian armed forces into RPGs.

In the early 1980s under his editorship JTAS magazine was the most exciting game magazine of its era, there was nothing else like it. Everyone in my gaming group looked forward to every issue - when we could get it, as they flew off the shelves - and it did a lot to establish concepts like "ongoing metaplot" and the look and feel of the Traveller universe.

More recently Loren had the sometimes thankless job of editing JTAS. He encouraged me to submit regular articles, and was always appreciative and helpful despite his own struggles with health and finances that I could relate to. I enjoyed his very personal editorials that often popped up in the JTAS issues, many of which illuminated the latter years of his life and his own interests, and also the early history of Traveller.

Rest in peace, Loren.

We'll miss you.

My condolences to his friends and family
Old 02-26-2017, 09:29 PM   #27
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
It feels really horrible to me that people continue to argue stuff in threads without acknowledging this one. I know it's personal bias, but it still hurts.
What's to acknowledge?

A good guy, who happened to be important to SJG and GDW, happened to die.

Acknowledgement by others won't change that.

Nor will acknowledgements of it by those who are essentially unaffected be much comfort.

I feel sorry for Marc, as it's a personal hit for him, and I have an ongoing working relationship with him. But I've never met, never dealt with Loren directly. I've read a few posts of his, and am aware of his contributions...

I feel sorry for the staff at SJG, and for Frank, and Tim (also GDW alumni). Even for Dave N.

But, for me, personally, the loss of Loren is of no direct impact. Were it not for your question, I was going to say nothing on the matter, because on the matter of Loren, I have nothing of value to add.

I had nothing fun, funny, nor comforting to say.

And I speak for a silent many, I suspect - It's life happening. One day, it will be us. Life and business must go on. And internet arguments are quite likely to continue.

Sometimes, silence is respectful.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #28
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
What's to acknowledge?

A good guy, who happened to be important to SJG and GDW, happened to die.

Acknowledgement by others won't change that.

Nor will acknowledgements of it by those who are essentially unaffected be much comfort.

I feel sorry for Marc, as it's a personal hit for him, and I have an ongoing working relationship with him. But I've never met, never dealt with Loren directly. I've read a few posts of his, and am aware of his contributions...

I feel sorry for the staff at SJG, and for Frank, and Tim (also GDW alumni). Even for Dave N.

But, for me, personally, the loss of Loren is of no direct impact. Were it not for your question, I was going to say nothing on the matter, because on the matter of Loren, I have nothing of value to add.

I had nothing fun, funny, nor comforting to say.

And I speak for a silent many, I suspect - It's life happening. One day, it will be us. Life and business must go on. And internet arguments are quite likely to continue.

Sometimes, silence is respectful.
I don't agree. Sometimes reading what someone has written is a kind of meeting. And there is nothing about the internet that cheapens human relationship.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:01 PM   #29
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Was very sad when i saw the news on Facebook - the same week or so that I wasn't able to log on to the forums.

Many years ago Mr. Wiseman or 'LKW" friended me on Facebook, and I got to chat with him several times.

He gave good advice when I was running that Maggie's Marauders Gurps: Traveller campaign back around 2004-2008.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:17 PM   #30
Hero of Canton

I've been away for a long time wandering in the wilderness of GURPSlessness so I somehow missed this. I too never had the privilege of meeting Loren in person but was an avid fan of his body of work. In the spirit of that I say;

''RIP arch-grognard, enjoy your unlimited access to Grandfather."

Hero of Canton