Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #41
Wraithe

Default Re: Fantasy Setting for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juballa View Post
What I'd like to see: Dungeon Magazine for GURPS.
You know I was going to try and do this humorously a'la "Theodoric of York: Medieval GURPs poster" but naaaaahhhhh, I'll say it straight:

Why not just use one of the existing Wiki sites or, dare I suggest it; the SJ Games forum? Some basic structure to vet the "Modules" or a ratings system, or something, and voila, yer all set.

Works for 3rd party map-makers for FPS games, why not GURPS?
Wraithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:23 PM   #42
b-dog

I have loads of adventures but I don't have too much experience with the details of GURPS so if someone wants to do some rules I can supply a lot of adventures. My adventures tend to be pretty old school though.

Last edited by b-dog; 06-06-2009 at 07:57 AM.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #43
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I

So, anyway, is it therefore proposed that three adventures, a monster book, and perhaps some character-building advice are "enough" to constitute a meaningfully detailed setting which currently reluctant gamers would be willing to adopt? That doesn't strike me as quite right. I should think that at the very least there should be an overview of the setting.
See this for what I would do for the format for the "Setting" included with the "Keep" module. http://www.goodman-games.com/downloa...DF-Preview.pdf. It packs a lot of information in a small amount of pages.

While there is room for creativity the point is to make a bog standard fantasy setting. Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, Dungeons, etc. Not exciting but it what the vast majority of people use playing RPGs. Doing it this way allow GURPS to function as a substitute for D&D. Which was the original appeal back in the late 80s.

Again while Dungeon Fantasy is nice it goes too far in emulating D&D with it's 250 pt characters. Most GURPS Fantasy campaigns I know start down at the 150 pt level for a more realistic feel. But like the stripped down rulebook I mentioned I feel this is a minor point as opposed to having a handful of adventures and a Monster Manual.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #44
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavynn View Post
I think your #1 - the rulebook is not really all that necessary, but I concur with the adventure ideas, with a book that ties them into a common world. And yes, we are still hurting for a full fledge Bestiary/Monster Manual/etc. be they real world critters or fantasy creations, for dungeon fantasy or otherwise.
In the late 80' the 2nd Edition GURPS Rulebook was about the perfect size and complexity to hook D&D players. From 3rd Edition onward the size of the core rulebook has made GURPS a tougher sell in my experience

The core rulebook of 3rd and 4th edition has greatly benefited GURPS in many other ways so I don't want to lose that. Hence the suggestion of a stripped down Fantasy version, along with eventually versions for Space and Horror.

But having this book is not the top issue, having the handful of adventures, and the Monster Manual is of more importance.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #45
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithe View Post
You know I was going to try and do this humorously a'la "Theodoric of York: Medieval GURPs poster" but naaaaahhhhh, I'll say it straight:

Why not just use one of the existing Wiki sites or, dare I suggest it; the SJ Games forum? Some basic structure to vet the "Modules" or a ratings system, or something, and voila, yer all set.

Works for 3rd party map-makers for FPS games, why not GURPS?
That is a good for us. I certainly I will be downloading stuff and contributing what I can. But doesn't help with getting new players in the game which require products.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:56 AM   #46
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Ooh, or what about this? The Egyptian gods have re-awoken, as in The New Kingdom in Pyramid 3/7, but instead of coming to America, they migrated to Yrth, and are hiding among the people of Caithness...
The Olympian Gods helped refugees from Troy over to Yrth and there is a thriving 3000-year old Greek civilization.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #47
Juballa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithe View Post
Apparently, we don't lack venues; we lack authors.

Or at least authors who write adventures that can be adapted for different groups, and who are willing to submit them.
Juballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #48
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juballa View Post
Apparently, we don't lack venues; we lack authors.

Or at least authors who write adventures that can be adapted for different groups, and who are willing to submit them.
Authors who write adventures that can be adapted for different groups, who are good at writing, and--if submitting to e23 rather than Pyramid--who are willing to submit them in the pre-approved adventure template format.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #49
Xplo

I should say this: writing for DF should be much, much easier than writing a generic adapt-this-to-your-setting/style/PCs-if-you-can adventure. Even without some monster canon to follow, most of the necessary assumptions about setting, style, and characters are made for you.
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #50
pawsplay

Yrth is a good setting, but ultimately it's the SCA + Sleeping Beauty. In canon, there are few interplanar rifts or faerie trods, fairly limited battle magic (but rather extensive strategic spellcasting), and so forth. It's fine if you want to hunt renegade knights, reclaim dwarven mines from orcs, or rescue pilgrims from religious zealots. If you want to play the A-team of a shapeshifting wizard, a hulking barbarian swordsman, a conniving tomb robber, and a clerical antiquarian, you can do it, but you're already stretching the limits of the setting. If you are seeking out a renegade wizard who's stolen a priceless orb and who may be trying to achieve immortality, but who turns out to be a strange, shapechanging humanoid from the eldritch past, you've broken them. If you want to "go slay some frost giants and dragons," you are not adventuring in Yrth.

GURPS Celtic Myth has some of the right sorts of characters, but first of all, it's third edition, and second of all, it's tied up in themes what are not a part of modern genre fantasy and fairly antithetical to conventional action-adventure gaming.

GURPS Conan is obviously a nice thing.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, setting, yrth