Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-04-2019, 05:34 AM   #1
warhorse11h

Default Shapeshift

Two questions about shapeshifting.

1. I understand how to work the changes to ST and DX. Points for them in the new form cannot exceed the total of ST and DX, and shift and flow to fit the new form. But what happens to IQ is not clear, at least to me. The rules imply that it is lowered to fit the new animal form if necessary. If true, this becomes a spell no wizard would ever cast on himself unless he had someone he trusted with his life to restore him. It just doesn't fit, to me. Am I missing something?

2. Spells listed to end the shapeshift seem to be missing one that should be there. Remove Thrown Spell. It would end the shapeshift wouldn't it?
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:19 AM   #2
Chris Rice

Default Re: Shapeshift

I get the impression that the Wizard will often use the spell on another person or creature. If they use it on themselves they'd be very foolish to choose a form with a low IQ as that would leave them stuck and potentially unable to turn back.

On your second point; I wouldn't allow Remove Thrown Spell to work against Shapeshifting. Although the Spell itself is a thrown spell, the effect is permanent, so once it has taken effect it is no longer magic - you've actually turned into a frog or whatever. It does mention that Dissolve Enchantment will work, as that is designed to remove permanent Spell effects.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #3
warhorse11h

Thank you. I thought that was how it was supposed to read, but, it just seemed incongruous to me. Perhaps I'm to much influenced by the Belgariad and Mallorean, but I would prefer it to operate similar to how shapeshifting is handled there.

I have incorporated some house rules for it that change it into either a powerful curse placed upon someone else or a powerful, but very expensive tool in the hands of a wizard. One that can have unexpected results if the new shape is maintained for too long.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
hcobb

"The spell is permanent unless removed by Dissolve Enchantment, a wish, or another shapeshift."

I've taken this as Shapeshift cast in the reverse sense to simply undo the previous shift.

What happens if a 300 year old sorceress simply keeps shifting to her 20 year old form?
Old 05-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What happens if a 300 year old sorceress simply keeps shifting to her 20 year old form?
She gets to dance at the monthly Wizards' Guild parties without breaking her hip.
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
RVA_Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
She gets to dance at the monthly Wizards' Guild parties without breaking her hip.
When she uses her "staff to brass pole" spell things really get interesting!
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #7
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
I get the impression that the Wizard will often use the spell on another person or creature. If they use it on themselves they'd be very foolish to choose a form with a low IQ as that would leave them stuck and potentially unable to turn back.

On your second point; I wouldn't allow Remove Thrown Spell to work against Shapeshifting. Although the Spell itself is a thrown spell, the effect is permanent, so once it has taken effect it is no longer magic - you've actually turned into a frog or whatever. It does mention that Dissolve Enchantment will work, as that is designed to remove permanent Spell effects.
Chris, I agree with your conclusions. I did want to point out that Reveal Magic states it will detect someone that was Shapeshifted. So, while it is true that it is a permanent change, it does have a remaining magic trace. (ITL p.19). I think the intent is that Remove Thrown Spell is not strong enough, so I still agree with your conclusions.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:48 PM   #8
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post

I strongly concur with this.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:08 AM   #9
KevinJ

I could see Remove Curse working if the Shapeshift were tied to a cursed object with the curse (and shapeshift) ending when the object is removed, but other than that you are limited to the three methods listed in the spell.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:59 PM   #10
Shoug

Could house rule a 1 IQ talent called, "Harmonious Compromise" that lets a Shapeshifter retain his Intellect upon changing shapes.
Shoug is offline   Reply With Quote