Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Healing potion calculation

Problem with randomly fixing one thing at a time as you go along is that it introduces precedents that can bite you later on in ways you didn't expect. New GMs need a solid system that gives reasonable results and keeps the players on the adventure track because commerce is boring in play.

My answer is that the main source of potions in Dran is the Dranning school of Wizardry, which makes small amounts of every potion type (over the course of a four year cycle) as student projects. The cheat on the price comes from not paying the student alchemists full adult wages. Ergo player alchemists can take job rolls during non-adventure time, but they won't get rich with their own alchemy lab.

If the players really want to raid the school then they will find a few potions and other items, after wading through a pile of Potters, but they'll have made themselves enemies of the entire duchy and the global Wizard's Guild.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #12
RVA_Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Honestly? I just think this whole thing is being completely over-analyzed. It's a game. You know, for fun. I do NOT sit around doing economic analyses on wizarding, or physical analyses on the martial arts moves in chop-sockey movies. I simply enjoy them.
I AGREE!

Some of these threads, not just this one, have run their topics into the ground. Lighten up folks.
We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
RVA_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA_Grandpa View Post
Some of these threads, not just this one, have run their topics into the ground. Lighten up folks.
Seconded. Some of these discussions are chasing away new players. It's a rules light RPG and tactical dungeon combat game. Emphasis on the fun, less of the "but physics says . . . "
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote