Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-09-2019, 10:42 AM   #31
Black Leviathan

Default Re: K9 enemies...

We've got a couple of dogs in our current game and I've had dogs for my characters before a lot of the time either as familiars or as companions. But overall we don't have a lot of dog representation. In fact we've probably dealt with more felines that canines overall. From a my-table perspective we use dogs infrequently for two reasons.

They're ordinary. Wolves make a good encounter early on for an adventuring group, but become less exciting as players advance. You can make them bigger but ultimately there's little that can be done to make dogs a good enemy in most systems once players grow more heroic. Meanwhile most fantasy or post-apocalyptic games have a rich tapestry of exotic beasts you can deal with.

And we don't tend to use them as allies in games because they're easily overlooked. They represent a lot of NPC management for the PCs to have them and they're again underwhelming threats a lot of the time for the NPCs to use, espeically since you could have another bandit or gunman for the same amount of record keeping.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #32
woodchuck

My first thoughts on seeing this post was that the big bad of the campaign is a hyper-intelligent K9 manipulating things from behind the scenes or the PCs were in a Bunnies and Burrows kind of campaign and the big bad was just an ordinary K9.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:33 PM   #33
Flyndaran
Untagged

Movie shorthand is to show intelligence with the character playing chess.
To quickly establish a character's evil, one merely shows them kicking a dog.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #34
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Don't know about used to be - many Middle Eastern (and other under-developed area) cities are still plagued by packs of (generally suspiciously similar looking) yellowish brown dogs that scavenge for food...
Even those can come off as rather pitiful. The version I ran into into south america came off as very large rats. They cower in the shadows, are obviously in ill health, and are commonly driven off by boys with rocks. They're scary, but they're more of an environmental hazard than a foe. That niche is also taken in most RPG's by actual giant rats.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:51 AM   #35
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Even those can come off as rather pitiful. The version I ran into into south america came off as very large rats. They cower in the shadows, are obviously in ill health, and are commonly driven off by boys with rocks. They're scary, but they're more of an environmental hazard than a foe. That niche is also taken in most RPG's by actual giant rats.
Oh absolutely - they're no threat to any normal RPG character and people who've lived with them around tell me that they disperse even if you stoop and make a "picking up a stone" gesture. But they come back. Like big rats their main function is to make sure you don't leave your wounded unattended.

For RPG purposes I've had a D&D party followed by ghouls … the ghouls never actually attacked them, they just ensured that when the party retraced their steps the enemy dead were gone. This and the dungeon where enemy dead got up and walked off were apparently quite disturbing. No-one left their wounded behind.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote