Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #1
whassumattuh

Default Cheat! Card?

Does the Cheat! card only allow you to cheat one aspect of the game? In other words, if I cheat a Swiss Army Polearm that is usable by Human only and I am a Dwarf, does the cheat only disregard the Human only aspect of the weapon? It seems that the Cheat! card allows an item to be equipped as an accessory (i.e., it does not need to be equipped to a hand, two hands, feet, body, or head) with no Race/Class or big item restrictions. Is this correct? Also, if this item is stolen, does the Cheat! card stay with it? Can you steal the item that is being cheated because it is no longer a big item?
whassumattuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Cheat! Card?

Please read the Munchkin FAQ and reread the rules and the cards; many of the questions you're asking are answered there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whassumattuh View Post
It seems that the Cheat! card allows an item to be equipped as an accessory (i.e., it does not need to be equipped to a hand, two hands, feet, body, or head) with no Race/Class or big item restrictions.
Right. But the Cheat! card does not actually REMOVE those aspects -- for instance, if you are Cursed to lose your Headgear, that can affect cheated Headgear.

Quote:
Also, if this item is stolen, does the Cheat! card stay with it?
Nope.

Quote:
Can you steal the item that is being cheated because it is no longer a big item?
It is still a Big item and cannot be stolen by a Thief.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
MunchkinMan

You might also read the sticky thread entitled, "Critical Links & Useful Information -- READ ME FIRST!!!," which includes a lovely treatise on the Cheat! card
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
smoothhands

While we're at it:

1. I see that a Curse can make you lose a Cheated item. That includes ones that specifically say "Lose one small item", "Lose the item that gives you the biggest bonus", etc. What about persistent curses like Big Feet? If you already have a curse like Big Feet, can you then play Cheat with footwear?

It seems to me that the order of things makes a difference. If you have the item with a Cheat equipped and then get a curse that says "You can't wear footwear; if you have any right now they are destroyed" that seems pretty clear that just because you are Cheating to wear them, they are still destroyed, so the Cheat card doesn't matter. But once you HAVE the Curse, now the wording reverts to the Cheat card, which says you can use an item that would "otherwise be against the rules". So if you have a Cheat card and footwear in your hand, shouldn't you be able to play them "against the rules"?

2. Do you get racial/class bonuses for items that are attached to Cheat cards? I mean only items that normally can be worn but just don't get the bigger bonus, like the helmet that is only +1 for Humans but +3 for Elves. If you're a Human you can already wear the helmet, so you don't get the Elf bonus, correct?
smoothhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
StaticHamster

Actually something else occurs to me.

Some Curses and Bad Stuff specifically states something like "Lose the <insert item type here> you are wearing"

Are items in play with a Cheat! card considered worn?

(oh you asked that....I gotta read more carefully)

Last edited by StaticHamster; 12-26-2010 at 03:11 PM. Reason: hasty reading and asking a redundant question
StaticHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothhands View Post
2. Do you get racial/class bonuses for items that are attached to Cheat cards? I mean only items that normally can be worn but just don't get the bigger bonus, like the helmet that is only +1 for Humans but +3 for Elves. If you're a Human you can already wear the helmet, so you don't get the Elf bonus, correct?
Well, Horny Helmet is +1 for anyone who is not an Elf (not just Humans), +3 for Elves. Since the Cheat! card does not specifically grant you the best bonus an Item can have, if you're not an Elf, you only get +1, and you can't use Cheat! to get you the +3.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 12-26-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
smoothhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Well, Horny Helmet is +1 for anyone who is not an Elf (not just Humans), +3 for Elves. Since the Cheat! card does not specifically grant you the best bonus an Item can have, if you're not an Elf, you only get +1, and you can't use Cheat! to get you the +3.
That makes sense, and it's the way we ended up playing it...though not without the requisite complaining from the guy who wanted the bonus. And that's good to know for sure that you can be some other non-Human race and it doesn't matter for those dual-bonus items.

Mr. MunchkinMan, how about the persistent curse situation I outlined? Do curses trump cheats in every possible scenario?
smoothhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
aeronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticHamster View Post
Actually something else occurs to me.
Some Curses and Bad Stuff specifically states something like "Lose the <insert item type here> you are wearing"
More specifically, suppose I have helmet A, and then use a cheat card to play helmet B, making both active. Then something happens (curse, bad stuff, etc.) that causes me to lose the helmet I am wearing. Do I lose A, or both?

Regards,
aeronaut
Old 12-27-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
snarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
More specifically, suppose I have helmet A, and then use a cheat card to play helmet B, making both active. Then something happens (curse, bad stuff, etc.) that causes me to lose the helmet I am wearing. Do I lose A, or both?
While certainly up for debate, I would say that you lose 1 of the headgear that you are wearing, as that would be the normal effect of the card.

I can, however, see an argument that you would lose both, as the Curse does not specify you lose ONE headgear, but implies that you lose ALL headgear.

Hmmm...I'm kind of torn, actually.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

Well, rather than have you be "torn," how about I say that you lose both, since you lose the Headgear you are wearing. Just because you are using Cheat! on it, you are still using it, and headgear you are using is worn.
MiB #1029

Tags
cheat, curse