Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
onetrikpony

Default Armor: materials, cost, weight, by TL

I've been looking into armor and armor systems in the different GURPS publications and I'm finding some discrepancies (and maybe some anachronisms)

? Does anyone know what the default material technology for armor is in TL9 and TL10?

I recently found out that you can't reverse engineer a TL9 combat walker from Ultratech using the rules from GURPS Mecha or Vehicles. The Combat walker weighs 800lbs. It seems that the lightest weight of 200/120 armor in any build system would be 600lbs. by itself.

I've read somewhere that 1" of armor steel (RHA?) is DR70, which equates roughly to 0.57lbs / 1DR over 1 square foot.
GURPS mecha has an armor called "Laminate" with a weight of 0.06lbs/DR*sf. That's about 10 times lighter (or 10 times stronger), than the RHA which seems to be pretty conservative even for a moderate level of technical progress. It was this 0.06lbs factor I was using to reverse engineer the Combat Walker.

So, It seems to me that some sources in GURPS support the idea of better armor materials. I just can't find them.
onetrikpony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, armor cost, armor weight, mecha, rha