Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
Donny Brook

Default [Perks] Base improvements

I have a PC in my campaign who has the Base perk. He is Status 1, so I gave him a section of surviving basement under a burned out building. He also has several crafting/building skills including Carpentry and Architect.

Logically, this character will be capable of making substantial improvements to comfort and utility of the space, but does doing so improve it beyond the specified level to goodness for a Base at his Social Status and is that a problem, rules-wise?

Last edited by Donny Brook; 02-26-2017 at 10:08 AM. Reason: typo
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: [Perks] Base improvements

Not a problem.

If he spends in-game time and resources on improving his starting equipment or other possessions, that's just as fine as if he had spent them on buying new things.

He'll start with a typical Base and justify it however he wants, maybe it's a new acquisition, maybe it was even worse before he started making it livable, etc. In play, he can eventually make it as nice as he wants, if he's got the skills, time and resources.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
Nereidalbel

If the PC is able to save up and/or spend enough to upgrade the base in play, let them do it. Only charge them points if they want to start hosting parties and such to the point of being able to raise their Status.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

I'd allow "Improved Base", as a levelled perk, with each level increasing your effective Status for base purposes by 1 (it's effectively Status (Only for improving your Base, -80%). I would charge a monthly upkeep fee, though, equal to, say, 10% of the cost of living for the Status level your base is at. So if the player is Status 0, and buys four levels of Improved Base, their Base is equivalent to someone who was Status 4, but they'll have to pay $6000 a month, in addition to their regular cost of living, to keep it in good shape.

For improving the base themselves, I'd definitely allow it if they have the skills. I'd give them a level of the Improved Base perk for free after they put in a certain amount of work. You could use the learning rules to figure out how much time that took - 200 hours of dedicated work on the base could equal one level of the perk, for example.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I have a PC in my campaign who has the Base perk. He is Status 1, so I gave him a section of surviving basement under a burned out building. He also has several crafting/building skills including Carpentry and Architect.

Logically, this character will be capable of making substantial improvements to comfort and utility of the space, but does doing so improve it beyond the specified level to goodness for a Base at his Social Status and is that a problem, rules-wise?
You may get some mileage out of "What's in a Lair," an article I wrote for Pyramid #3/85: Organizations. (Designer's Notes here.)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote